Ellie Lockwood is a trial and litigation partner in the Denver office. Ellie focuses her practice in commercial, intellectual property, and trust & estate litigation. She handles all aspects of business disputes from prefiling investigations through appeals and judgment enforcement.
The majority of cases she handles involve business torts, fraud, RICO/COCCA, antitrust, Colorado Consumer Protection Act, unfair trade practices, Lanham Act, and matters involving claims by or against trustees and other fiduciaries. Ellie also has substantial expertise with seeking or opposing preliminary relief (TRO, preliminary injunction, and prejudgment attachment), fraudulent transfers, and contempt proceedings.
Throughout her career, Ellie has maintained an active pro bono practice. In 2015, she represented the State Public Defender in an action against the Denver County Court challenging its bond-setting practices and has served as Special Counsel for the State Public Defender’s Office.
Ellie also is part of the team of lawyers representing a non-profit entity in landmark civil rights litigation against the State of Colorado (Disability Law Colorado v. Bicha, et al. (D. Colo.)) to ensure timely competency evaluation and treatment for pretrial detainees suffering from mental illness.
Additionally Ellie is an active member of the Colorado Lawyers Committee, including serving as YLD co-chair of Denver Legal Night. She also has received numerous recognition for her pro bono efforts in our community, including receiving Denver Bar Association’s “Volunteer of the Year” award in 2018.
Representative Experience :
- Defended a multimillion dollar trade secret dispute filed simultaneously in three jurisdictions.
- Prosecuted a RICO/COCCA action on behalf of a government entity, defending a qui tam suit against a Fortune 500 company.
- Prosecuted a fraud case under the Colorado Uniform Fraudulent Transfer Act, including seeking prejudgment attachment orders, temporary restraining orders and a preliminary injunction freezing assets until trial.
- Represented a private equity firm in a bench trial, a subsequent appeal, and an award of attorneys’ fees and costs.
- Represented beneficiaries in connection with a proposed multibillion dollar settlement of claims against multiple trustee banks in New York Supreme Court in Manhattan.
- University of Denver, Sturm College of Law (J.D., 2010)
- Senior Staff Editor, DU Law Review
- Scholastic Excellence Awards: Contracts, Patent Litigation, Lawyering Process
- Recipient of merit scholarships
- University of Denver (B.A., Biological Sciences, magna cum laude, 2004)
- Minor: Legal Studies
- Honors in Biology
- Phi Beta Kappa Honors Society
Professional Memberships and Activities :
- American Bar Association
- Litigation Section
- Colorado Bar Association
- Intellectual Property Section
- Denver Bar Association
- Colorado Women’s Bar Association
- Faculty of Federal Advocates
Other Professional Experience :
- Reilly Pozner LLP
- Trial & Litigation Associate (2011-2016)
- Law Clerk (2009-2011)
- David W. Kirch, P.C., Law Clerk (2007-2008)
Bar Admissions : Colorado
Court Admissions :
- Supreme Court of Colorado
- United States District Court, District of Colorado
- United States Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
Rate : $$$$