Elliot J. Feldman’s international practice concentrates on all forms of trade disputes and remedies affecting the movement of goods and services across international borders. He advises foreign governments, corporations and organizations on trade policy and international law, and litigates international trade, legal, and investor-state disputes in all relevant forums, inside and outside the United States, on both commercial international law and treaty interpretation.
He has been a frequent legal adviser to the Government of Canada in World Trade Organization (WTO) cases and he has particular experience with the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). Elliot founded and is the former director of the University Consortium for Research on North America at Harvard University.
- Uncoated Groundwood Paper From Canada: As lead counsel for Canadian federal and provincial governments and five companies, obtained a unanimous 5-0 International Trade Commission negative final determination terminating duties on newsprint, thereby rescuing the newspaper industry across the United States from an accelerated demise. Honored as Law 360 “MVP” in 2018 for this singular international trade victory.
- WTO: Served as outside counsel to the Canadian government in WTO antidumping, countervailing duty and injury disputes over softwood lumber, developing the legal case that defeated the American use of “zeroing” in antidumping investigations.
- Safeguards: Restored the use of safeguards to U.S. international trade practice on behalf of an Australian client and its U.S. subsidiary against imports of wheat gluten from Europe. Obtained three presidential proclamations restricting European imports.
- China: Served as lead counsel before the International Trade Commission in successful defenses of imports of manganese sulfate and disposable pocket lighters.
- International Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- National Economists Club
- United States Department of Defense: Special Project Officer and Consultant
- President of the United States: Consulting Speech Writer, Foreign Policy and Defense
- The University of Chicago, Beijing and Paris: Distinguished Alumni Lecturer
- The University of Chicago: Visiting Committee, The College
- Arena Stage Production of The Originalist: Legal Consultant (2015)
- J.D., Harvard Law School, 1988, cum laude
- Ph.D., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1972, with Distinction
- B.A., University of Chicago, 1969, General Honors and Special Honors
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1995
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit, 1994
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 1991
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, 2007
Rate : $$$