Ellyn S. Garofalo is an experienced trial attorney who focuses on defending and prosecuting complex civil matters, primarily involving healthcare, professional negligence, real estate, and shareholder and partnership disputes.
Ellyn’s practice also involves a wide range of criminal and regulatory work, including defending individuals and corporations in matters related to healthcare fraud, medical licensing issues, insurance fraud, and bank fraud.
She regularly represents and advises clients on Fifth Amendment issues implicated in parallel civil, criminal, and regulatory proceedings.
- Obtained a $32 million judgment for cyber theft by a former officer of a digital Internet advertising company (WebSpectator v. Parreira)
- Served as lead counsel in a real estate dispute involving a mixed-use development in downtown Los Angeles (Los Angeles Wholesale Produce Market v. Atlas Capital Group, et al.)
- Served as lead counsel for multiple defendants in a $100 million partnership dispute arising from the acquisition of wellness resort Glen Ivy Hot Springs (Wickline v. GOCO Hospitality Global Opportunity)
- Served as lead counsel in a real estate dispute where a neighbor was convicted of criminal contempt for violating an easement agreement (Wineberg v. Perelmutter)
- Served as lead counsel for the defendant in an accounting malpractice case involving the production of reality television shows for a media company (LMNO Cable v. Ikegami & Co.)
- Served as lead counsel in a legal malpractice claim against a national law firm, arising from a dispute over a complex web of family trusts (Karsin v. Sheppard Mullin)
- Served as lead counsel for defendants in an action arising from a highly publicized fatal accident on a Starline double-decker party bus (Zisette v. Starline)
- Served as lead counsel for defendants in a shareholder dispute involving an Internet startup (Haden v. Audience Delivered, LLC.)
- Served as lead counsel in a $100 million dispute arising from the sale of two consumer reporting agency company Internet subsidiaries (Experian v. Ybrant Digital)
- Served as lead counsel in a criminal matter involving a hit-and-run that garnered significant media coverage; the matter ultimately was resolved with a probationary sentence (People v. Goldman)
- J.D. cum laude Pepperdine University School of Law 1991
- B.A. Brooklyn College, CUNY 1973
Bar Admissions : California
Professional Memberships :
- Member, board of directors, Federal Bar Association, Los Angeles Chapter
- Member, board of directors, Los Angeles Business Council
- Member, book publishing board, American Bar Association, Criminal Justice Section
Community : Member, board of directors and advisory council Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.
Rate : $$$$