Emery B. McRill focuses his practice on public and corporate finance. He has served as bond counsel and counsel to issuers, underwriters, banks and borrowers on numerous taxable and tax-exempt debt financings.
He has participated in all types of public finance transactions, with a particular emphasis in nonprofit, exempt facility, and manufacturing financings, including complex non-rated, multi-modal and interest rate swap transactions.
A significant portion of his practice involves structuring and completing complicated project financings for the benefit of nonprofit organizations, including transactions for private secondary and elementary schools and several major area hospitals, continuing care retirement communities and other healthcare and nonprofit institutions.
He also has served in a variety of capacities on “bank-purchase” bond issues for nonprofits. These transactions often require the resolution of an array of real estate, credit and tax issues.
Emery has also served as lead attorney on behalf of the firm in a number of major sewage and solid waste disposal facility financings located across the country for several nationally known paper, industrial and energy companies. He has extensive experience in addressing the challenging and diverse tax issues that arise with major exempt facility bond transactions.
Prior to entering private practice, Emery served as an attorney/advisor to the Office of General Counsel for the Farmers Home Administration of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (now the Farm Service Agency, the Rural Development Administration and the Rural Housing Service).
- Served as lead attorney representing a national bank in the issuance of a letter of credit and the direct purchase of bonds issued for a major regional hospital system.
- Served as special tax counsel in the restructuring of tax exempt bonds issued for a large continuing care retirement community located in the northeastern United States.
- Serves as the primary bond counsel contact for major regional energy company’s $500 million tax exempt bond portfolio, including pollution control, solid waste and recovery zone bonds.
- The University of Iowa College of Law, JD, with Distinction; Note and Comment Editor, Journal of Corporation Law, 1988
- The University of Iowa, MBA, 1987
- Iowa State University, BS, 1982
Admissions : Maryland, Iowa
- Member, Maryland State Bar
- Member, National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Former Chairman of the Board, Franciscan Youth Center
Rate : $$$$