Emily Johnson Henn is a partner in Covington’s Palo Alto office and serves as chair of the firm’s Class Action Litigation Practice Group. Ms. Henn specializes in defending class actions, including antitrust and consumer class actions. She is also experienced in false advertising litigation and complex litigation in technology, banking, and food, drug and cosmetics industries, among others.
She has extensive experience with consumer class actions under California’s Section 17200 and other states’ unfair competition laws. She has also represented clients in state attorney general actions asserting unfair and deceptive practices claims.
Ms. Henn has been recommended by Legal 500 US, Antitrust – Civil Litigation/Class Actions (2015-2017), named to the Daily Journal’s “Top Women Lawyers” list (2015, 2016), and named to Benchmark Litigation, Euromoney’s list of the Top 250 women in U.S. litigation (2012, 2013, 2015-2017). She is also a recipient of the Women of Influence award from the Silicon Valley Business Journal.
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 1999
- Wesleyan University, B.A., 1994
Judicial Clerkship :
- Hon. Sandra Day O’Connor, U.S. Supreme Court, 2002 – 2003
- Hon. Paul V. Niemeyer, U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 1999 – 2000
Bar Admissions :
- District of Columbia
Representative Matters :
- Represent media and social gaming companies in consumer class actions alleging privacy and unfair competition claims.
- Lead counsel for multinational consumer products company defending advertising and unfair competition claims in four states.
- Successful representation of a dietary supplement company in defense of claims brought under Sections 17200 and 17500 and the CLRA concerning marketing and advertising of glucosamine supplements.
- Represent a dietary supplement company in defense of claims brought under Sections 17200 and 17500 and the CLRA concerning marketing and advertising of glucosamine supplements.
- Successfully obtained dismissal of claims against Expedia in multiple federal antitrust class actions related to hotel bookings.
- Successfully represented a pharmaceutical company in responding to allegations that advertising of melatonin supplements violated California law.
- Represented software company in AAA arbitration concerning a dispute arising under a software license agreement.
- Successful defense of Lieutenant Governor of American Samoa in complex jury trial involving conspiracy, fraud, bribery, and obstruction charges.
Pro Bono :
- First-chaired an arbitration with the U.S. Department of Agriculture and secured a substantial award for an African-American farmer subjected to discriminatory lending practices.
- First-chaired a criminal trial and secured a judgment of acquittal for a client accused of check fraud.
Rate : $$$