Emily Spivack is an associate in the firm’s Labor & Employment Group where her practice focuses on issues facing employers and public school districts. Emily’s practice includes advising school clients in student discipline matters, contract and policy drafting, and employment questions.
She regularly defends districts before the Ohio Civil Rights Commission and the US Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights. She also has extensive experience with public records and public meetings questions, both under the Ohio Sunshine Laws and the federal Freedom of Information Act.
Emily’s practice also includes advising on special education matters, including answering day-to-day questions regarding services a district is obligated to provide, drafting IEP documents, responding to due process complaints and defending districts in federal court against claims brought by parents under federal and state special education laws.
In addition to her work with schools, Emily has experience litigating on behalf of employers in discrimination, harassment, retaliation and wrongful termination cases in state and federal court, as well as before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. She also frequently conducts investigations on behalf of employers into complaints brought by employees under internal harassment, discrimination and retaliation policies.
Memberships and Affiliations:
- Serves on the advisory boards of the Honors Tutorial College and the Cutler Scholars Program at Ohio University
- Member, Ohio State Bar Association
- Member, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Member, District of Columbia Bar Association
- Member, Ohio Council of School Board Attorneys
- Member, National Association of College and University Attorneys
- Case Western Reserve University, J.D., 2013
- Ohio University, B.S., 2010
Rate : $$$$