Emily R. Schulman has extensive trial and appellate experience in white-collar matters, with particular emphasis on healthcare and financial industries. She has briefed and argued dozens of cases before the United States Courts of Appeals, and has tried more than 20 jury trials in the United States District Courts. Her practice focuses on internal and governmental investigations and white collar defense.
She has extensive experience representing companies, boards of directors and their committees, and individuals in internal investigations, criminal litigation, government enforcement actions, and federal and state grand jury investigations involving allegations of healthcare fraud, false claims, economic fraud and securities violations.
Prior to joining private practice, Ms. Schulman served as an Assistant United States Attorney in the US Attorney’s Office in Massachusetts for more than a decade. In that capacity, she investigated and prosecuted economic and white-collar fraud, money laundering and tax violations, and political and public corruption cases.
Ms. Schulman is co-chair of the Boston Bar Association’s Health Law Section, and serves on the Board of Directors of the Massachusetts Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. She has been a Visiting Lecturer at Harvard Law School since 2010.
In 2013, she was a Visiting Professor at Srednerusskiy University in Russia, teaching US criminal law and criminal procedure. She has also been a Visiting Assistant Professor at Villanova University School of Law, teaching courses on criminal law, criminal procedure and white-collar crime.
Ms. Schulman has conducted trainings nationally and internationally on criminal investigatory and enforcement matters and developments in healthcare and securities law. She is also a member of the First Circuit Criminal Justice Act Screening Committee and a member of the US District Court Criminal Justice Act Panel.
- Persuaded US Attorney’s Office to decline to bring criminal or civil charges against a multinational pharmaceutical company in a multi-year health care fraud investigation;
- Represented multinational pharmaceutical company in multiple, multi-year parallel civil and criminal investigations focusing on off-label marketing, anti-kickback and false claims allegations (global settlement ~ $425 million);
- Represented Director of Marketing for multinational pharmaceutical company in federal Anti-kickback and False Claims Act investigation;
- Represented pharmaceutical company in congressional inquiry into payments to healthcare professionals;
- Conducted multiple internal investigations for pharmaceutical and medical device companies focusing on off label promotion, anti-kickback, and FDCA allegations;
- Secured denial of class certification and dismissal of case against medical products manufacturer in securities fraud class action;
- Represented hedge fund Founder and Lead Portfolio manager in parallel federal criminal and SEC insider trading investigation;
- Persuaded SEC to decline charges against former Chief Financial Officer and Chief Operating Officer of semi-conductor manufacturing company in SEC fraud investigation;
- Persuaded US Attorney’s Office to dismiss criminal charges against defendant in pro bono gang prosecution.
- JD, Harvard Law School, 1993
- BA, Social Studies, Harvard University, 1985
ADMISSIONS : Massachusetts, District of Columbia
CLERKSHIPS : The Hon. Abner J. Mikva, US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, 1993 – 1994
GOVERNMENT EXPERIENCE :
- Department of Justice
- United States Attorneys’ Offices
Rate : $$$