Emily A. Sellers focuses her practice on class action and complex litigation matters. As a former law clerk for the Honorable Beth Phillips, U.S. District Judge for the Western District of Missouri, Emily gained significant experience in all phases of litigation and federal practice and procedure.
During law school, she completed internships with the Honorable Fernando J. Gaitan, U.S. District Judge for the Western District of Missouri, and the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Western District of Missouri.
She also authored a law review article, served as a comment editor on the UMKC Law Journals Board, and worked as a research assistant on personal jurisdiction and civil rights case law.
Before entering law school, Emily worked as a bilingual court advocate for immigrant victims of domestic violence. As a court advocate, she managed large caseloads, communicated legal concepts in Spanish, and interacted regularly with attorneys, law enforcement officers, and trial court judges.
- J.D., summa cum laude, University of Missouri – Kansas City School of Law, 2016
- UMKC Law Journals Board Member, Comment Editor
- Intern for the Honorable Fernando J. Gaitan, U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- Intern for the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Western District of Missouri
- Research Assistant for Professor David Achtenberg
- Recipient, Jack and Helyn Miller Merit Scholarship
- Top Section Grades (Legal Writing I; Property I; Remedies)
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
- B.A., summa cum laude, Rhodes College, 2011 (International Studies-Political Science; minor in Spanish)
- Phi Beta Kappa
- International Relations Journal, Co-Editor
- Environmental Residents, President
- Recipient, Mertie Buckman International Internship Scholarship
- Siedman Senior Political Science Award
- Peace and Justice Service Award
- Best Foreign Language Paper Award
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Clerk for The Honorable Beth Phillips, U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
Rate : $$$