Emma Claire Merritt’s practice focuses on environmental litigation and complex commercial litigation matters. Emma’s practice focuses on complex litigation with an emphasis on environmental, business torts, commercial contract and product liability disputes.
She has successfully represented clients at all stages of litigation in state and federal courts through trials, dispositive motions and appeals.
Emma is admitted to practice in all federal and state courts in North Carolina, as well as the US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.
- Represents major utilities in environmental litigation related to the storage and disposal of coal combustion residuals, including coal ash.
- Represents major utilities in environmental enforcement actions under Clear Air Act and Clean Water Act.
- Successfully defended summary judgment motions against regional retailer and subsidiaries in insurance coverage declaratory judgment action arising out of products liability coverage.
- Served as second-chair counsel (delivered opening statement, examined witnesses and argued motions) in three separate week-long trials (one federal jury, one state court jury and one state court bench trial), with all resulting in favorable verdicts for clients.
- Co-authored successful briefs at trial and appellate levels in procedurally complex case that ultimately resulted in $75 million judgment in favor of client on unfair trade practices claims in North Carolina Business Court.
- Argued before US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit on behalf of individual owner charged with company’s withholding tax liability.
- JD, Wake Forest University School of Law, Moot Court, 2006
- BA, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2003
- North Carolina
- Member, North Carolina Bar Association
- Member, Mecklenburg County Bar Association
- Former President, Young Lawyers Section, Greensboro Bar Association
- Former Co-Chair, Health and Wellness Committee of Greensboro Bar Association
- Former Member, Young Lawyers Section Executive Board, Greensboro Bar Association
- Former Chair, Hospice and Palliative Care of Greensboro “Corks for Kids Path” fundraiser
- Former Firm Coordinator, Legal Aid of North Carolina Triad Associates Drive
Rate : $$$