Emory Ireland is a partner and business lawyer with Foley & Lardner LLP and a member of the Finance & Financial Institutions and Privacy, Security & Information Management Practices and the Sports Industry Team. He is a former chair of the Finance Practice.
Mr. Ireland has more than 40 years of experience representing clients in:
- Sophisticated financing transactions
- Loan workouts and bankruptcies
- Derivative transactions
- Bank regulatory matters
- The federal and state regulation of consumer credit transactions, payment systems, and a broad range of other financial services
Education : Mr. Ireland is a graduate of Yale College and Stanford Law School.
Professional Memberships :
Mr. Ireland has been chairman of the State Bar of Wisconsin’s committee on Standard Forms of Legal Opinions, chairman of its subcommittee on Revised Article 9 of the Uniform Commercial Code, chairman of its subcommittee on Revised Article 5 of the Uniform Commercial Code, and a member of the board of directors of its Business Law Section. He has also received the President’s Award from the State Bar of Wisconsin.
Representative Matters :
- Foley represented Plan Trustee and Oversight Committee in the 10th largest bank failure in the nation, in connection with the liquidation of GFGI’s assets and prosecution of recovery actions.
- The case included representation of the interests of the bankruptcy estate and FDIC, in prosecuting claims by assignment jointly on behalf of the Estate and FDIC, recovering nearly $300 million for creditors and the FDIC, in one of the most successful bank holding company restructurings nationally.
- Foley represented Quad Graphics in the issuance of the private placement of $300 million of 7% senior notes due 2022, followed by a registered exchange offer.
- Represented a utility holding company and its utility subsidiaries in obtaining several billion dollars of bank financing over the years, including related derivative transactions.
- Counseled a higher education finance client who was party to certain swap and cap agreements with Lehman Brothers Special Financing, Inc. (LBSFI) related to student loan asset-backed securities issued by the client.
- Lehman Brothers Holdings, Inc., the Lehman parent entity, guaranteed LBSFI’s obligations under the swap and cap agreements.
- Represented a major insurance company in structuring investments in a private equity fund to avoid control issues under the Bank Holding Company Act.
- Represented a consumer finance company in a complete revision of its contract forms and related compliance issues.
Rate : $$$