Eric P. Berlin is one of the nation’s leading cannabis law attorneys, advocating full-time for clients in or impacted by the state-legal cannabis industries and tensions with federal law. Following two decades of trial and courtroom experience in high-stakes litigation, he now counsels clients in the cannabis industry to reach their business objectives while avoiding legal risks in this ever-evolving regulatory environment.
With other colleagues, he provides counseling and compliance advice for clients on issues related to state and federal law, employment considerations, intellectual property, litigation avoidance, and transactional work.
Eric worked with members of state general assemblies and other stakeholders to help create the Illinois medical program (2009-2014) and to draft and help get passed the Ohio bill (2016).
Current clients include large publicly traded companies selling products or services into the cannabis industry, companies involved in financing the industry, vaporizer manufacturers, health care institutions, testing labs, cultivators, processors, and a company operating dispensaries in several states.
Additionally, Eric has represented clients in some of the nation’s highest profile health care and antitrust litigations. Victories include a trial in a $2.3 billion Sherman Act and the Robinson-Patman Act case; a False Claims Act case against major pharmacies; a bundling antitrust case against a large medical distributor; an international arbitration between agricultural companies; and appeals in the 6th, 7th, 9th, and 10th U.S. Courts of Appeals.
Eric currently serves as the president of board of directors for the University of Chicago GI Research Foundation and a director for the Better Government Association in Chicago.
- University of Wisconsin-Madison (J.D. cum laude 1993; Order of the Coif; Senior Articles Editor, Wisconsin Law Review; Moot Court);
- Dartmouth College (B.A. 1989, with high honors in Government major)
BAR ADMISSIONS : Illinois
- Morgan Stanley Capital Partners, through its portfolio company, PPC Flexible Packaging, acquires Temkin International
- Sea Hunter merges with Baker Technologies Inc., Briteside Holdings, LLC, and Santé Veritas Holdings Inc. in four-way business combination and Canadian reverse takeover
- Cardinal Health successfully defends bundled pricing
- Mapei acquires General Resource Technology
- Woodward acquires hydraulic thrust reverse actuation systems business of GE Aviation Systems for $200 million
- National retailer/pharmacy obtains Ninth Circuit affirmance of False Claims Act dismissal based on Public Disclosure Bar
- Abbott and other pharmaceutical manufacturers successfully defend against Texas state court action alleging Medicare fraud
- Abbott defends against Ven-A-Care’s accusation of alleged Medicare fraud
- Lehman Brothers obtains dismissal of New Jersey securities class action.
Rate : $$$$