With a practice devoted to consumer financial services, Eric S. Matthew is an experienced litigator and represents clients across the country in state and federal courts at both the trial and appellate levels.
Eric defends major national financial institutions in litigation and regulatory compliance matters, including those arising under federal laws—Telephone Consumer Protection Act, Truth in Lending Act, Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, Service members Civil Relief Act, and Fair Debt Collection Practices Act—and state fair lending, collection, and deceptive trade practice laws. He has tried dozens of cases to verdict.
Eric works with lending and servicing clients forming creative strategies to defend claims in state and federal courts, and routinely provides guidance to his clients to ensure regulatory compliance and litigation or enforcement action avoidance.
Eric also partners with in-house counsel and lines of business to design and implement client-specific, on-site litigation management and corporate witness training programs. Prior to joining Akerman, Eric clerked for the Honorable Edwin G. Torres of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida.
- J.D., University of Miami School of Law, 2006, cum laude, University of Miami Business Law Review,Research and Writing Editor, 2006
- B.A., University of California, Los Angeles, 2003
Bar Admissions : Florida; California
Court Admissions :
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
Professional Experience :
- Federal law clerk to Honorable Edwin G. Torres, U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida, 2007-2008
- The Florida Bar
- The California Bar
- Dade County Bar Association
Rate : $$$$