Eric A. Newsom is a partner in the Corporate Practice Group in the San Francisco office. Eric’s practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, private equity and venture capital investment transactions, complex domestic and international joint ventures, and corporate governance and compliance matters.
He has represented buyers, sellers, investors and intermediaries in scores of business combination, buyout and investment transactions, with particular emphasis on the technology and healthcare industries.
In his healthcare and health technology practice, Eric focuses on mergers, acquisitions, reorganizations, joint ventures and private equity investment and disposition transactions involving health plans, multi-hospital systems, physician groups and ambulatory and other specialty service providers, as well as startup and growth-stage companies in the healthcare information technology sector.
A significant portion of Eric’s practice involves advising clients in connection with cross-border transactions, whether engaging foreign counsel to assist domestic clients in managing offshore assets, or representing foreign clients in sales to, or joint ventures with, U.S.-based businesses.
- J.D., University of San Francisco, 1996, Articles Editor, USF Law Review
- B.A., University of California, Davis, 1993
Admissions : California
- Aetna, Inc., as transactional and regulatory counsel in its proposed divestiture to Molina Healthcare Inc. of approximately 290,000 Medicaid Advantage members in over twenty states in connection with Aetna’s proposed merger with Humana, Inc.
- Blue Shield of California, in its acquisition of Care1st Health Plan, a full-service health insurance plan serving over 500,000 members in California, Arizona and Texas (price not disclosed).
- Shamrock Capital Advisors, LLC, as a principal investor in the Series D and E private equity financings of FanDuel, Inc., a Scottish corporation and a leading daily fantasy sports league, and in FanDuel’s proposed merger with DraftKings.
- Blue Shield of California, in its innovative California Health Information Exchange joint venture with Anthem, Inc., in which Blue Shield and Anthem teamed up to establish and fund California Integrated Data Exchange, California’s first privately funded, statewide HIE.
- The Regents of the University of California, in the proposed acquisition by UC Davis Medical Center of a leading regional Northern California hospital system.
- INgrooves, Inc., a leading provider of digital distribution, marketing and technology services to the global music and entertainment community, in its private equity financings, its acquisition of Fontana Distribution from Universal Music Group, and other strategic acquisitions.
- Founders of Intellectual Ventures, the world’s leading intellectual property development and investment fund, in the restructuring of their ownership interests in the complex IV family of funds.
- Admitted to practice in the State of California
- Member, San Francisco Bar Association
Rate : $$$$