Eric Mathisen has represented clients in ERISA and Non-ERISA employee benefits matters in federal and state courts throughout the United States. He has extensive experience defending a wide variety of complicated employee benefits litigation matters including class action and single plaintiff suits regarding pension, life, health, disability, COBRA continuing coverage, and retiree benefits. He also litigates non-ERISA breach of contract and bad faith claims and employment claims.
Mr. Mathisen regularly conducts training and speaks on ERISA and other employment topics. He has also served as counsel for the City of Valparaiso’s Ethics Commission from 2004-2012.
- J.D., Valparaiso University, 1996
- B.A., Carthage College, 1992
Admitted to Practice:
- U.S. District Court, Northern and Southern Districts of Indiana
- U.S. District Court, Central, Northern and Southern Districts of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Eastern, Northern, Southern and Western Districts of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Eastern and Western Districts of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court, Eastern and Western Districts of Michigan
Eric Mathisen serves as lead counsel for several large life, health, and disability insurers and administrators. He also regularly acts as lead counsel for employers, fiduciaries and self-insured employee benefit plans. Representative matters handled by Mr. Mathisen include:
- Defending a large insurer in a nationwide class action ERISA suit by a class of health care providers.
- Defending a large telecommunications company in ERISA matters seeking employee benefits and alleging a breach of fiduciary duty.
- Defending a large financial institution in ERISA matters alleging the alleged failure to comply with ERISA’s disclosure requirements and continuation requirements by COBRA.
- Defending a large disability insurer in a class action ERISA suit by a class of participants alleging violations of state insurance regulations.
- Defending large disability and life insurers against claims for benefits (ERISA and Non-ERISA) by plan participants and beneficiaries.
- Society for Human Resource Management of Northwest Indiana
- American Bar Association
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Porter County Bar Association
- Newsletter Editor for DRI Life, Health and Disability Committee
Rate : $$$$