Eric (Ric) Redman has 40 years’ experience in virtually all aspects of the electric power sector and environmental regulation, including in the oil and natural gas sector. He is recognized for his work and expertise on climate matters both nationally and abroad, including in China, the United Kingdom, and Europe. Ric currently serves as Senior Policy Advisor for Energy & Climate at the firm.
Ric has spent much of his career as a key advisor and primary outside counsel to Boards and CEOs of electric utilities (municipal, cooperative, and investor-owned), independent power producers, and industrial energy users in environmental and economic regulation, rate cases, power supply and sales matters, contract negotiation, litigation, administrative law, legislation, and other policymaking at Federal, regional, and state levels.
Currently CEO of Thunderbolt Clean Energy, an energy and climate consulting firm, Ric is the former CEO of Summit Power Group, a developer of wind, solar, and carbon capture power plants, and former chair of the Energy & Clean Tech practices at a major international law firm. Ric also serves as Senior Policy Fellow for energy system decarbonization at the School of Global Policy & Strategy at the University of California San Diego.
In addition, he was an initial Advisory Board member for Aligned Intermediary (advisers to long-term investors in climate-related infrastructure), and serves on the Advisory Boards of the Methow Conservancy (a North Cascades land trust) and Scottish Carbon Capture & Storage, the leading UK CCS research organization, among other non-profit organizations.
Ric graduated from Harvard College, Oxford University (as a Rhodes Scholar), and Harvard Law School, and is a board member of Phillips Academy, Andover, and of the Northwest African American Museum. He served as an aide to the late U.S. Senator Warren G. Magnuson (D-WA) and wrote a best-selling book about Congress, “The Dance of Legislation.”
- CEO and Co-Founder, Thunderbolt Clean Energy, LLC, Seattle, 2015-present
- Co-Chairman, 2014-2016; CEO & President, 2012-2014; President, 2007-2012 – Summit Power Group LLC, Seattle
- Partner & Shareholder, Heller Ehrman, Seattle, 1983-2007
- Partner, 1979-1982; Associate, 1975-1978; Summer Associate, 1973 – Preston Gates, Seattle
- Legislative Assistant and Campaign Aide, U.S. Senator Warren G. Magnuson, D-WA, 1968-1974
Professional & Community Activities:
- Board of Directors, Global CCS Institute, 2017-present
- Advisory Board, Scottish Carbon Capture & Storage
- President’s Council, Ceres
- Board Member, Northwest African American Museum (NAAM)
- J.D., Harvard Law School, 1975, magna cum laude
- Harvard Graduate National Scholarship
- M.A., Oxford University, 1980
- B.A., Oxford University, 1972
- Rhodes Scholar (Washington & Magdalen)
- 1st Class Honours in Politics, Philosophy & Economics
- Johnson Trust Exhibition Prize for Academics
- A.B., Government, Harvard College, 1970, magna cum laude
- Detur Prize for Academics
- Harvard National Scholarship
Rate : $$$$