Eric B. Rothenberg leads the Firm’s Environmental Practice. He represents business and financial institutions in a broad range of adversarial matters, including superfund proceedings, toxic tort claims and private cost recovery actions. Drawing upon his experience as a graduate-degree environmental engineer, Eric also directs diligence and documentation of transactions, financings and restructurings/reorganizations involving industrial and commercial properties.
He also serves as lead counsel and court-appointed allocation counsel at National Priorities List superfund sites.
He is a frequent speaker and author of numerous publications including current U.S. and International Environmental Law summaries for the PLI Corporate Legal Counsel series and LexisNexis compliance guides.
He is recognized by Chambers USA, Best Lawyers in America, Super Lawyers, and International Who’s Who as a leading US environmental lawyer.
- O’Melveny provided environmental and regulatory due diligence and documentation for Apollo Management LP in its acquisition of Constellis Holdings. A consortium of investors led by Apollo entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Constellis for an estimated US$1 Billion. Constellis, formerly known as Blackwater, is a global consultant for military operations with a primary training facility in Moyock, North Carolina.
- Lowell Acquisition, LLC with respect to the diligence and documentation for the roll up acquisition of a sportswear manufacturer
- Apollo Global Management and its portfolio company, Taminco Corp. (Taminco), the world’s largest producer of alkylamines and alkylamine derivatives, in the $2.8 billion sale of Taminco to Eastman Chemical Company, a global producer of specialty chemicals
- Verso Paper in its $1.4 billion acquisition of NewPage, a privately held producer of specialty paper products
- Apollo Global Management in its $7.15 billion acquisition of El Paso Corporation’s oil and gas exploration units
- The Carlyle Group in its acquisition, along with other investors, in a majority stake in Luxembourg-based metals trader, the Traxys Group
- CI Capital Partners in its sale of building products distributor, FBM, to Lone Star for $560 million
- CI Capital Partners in its sale of chemicals firm KIK Custom Products to Centerbridge Partners for $780 million
- Apollo Global Management in its acquisition of Houston-based oilfield services company, Express Energy Services
- Apollo Global Management and its Paris-based portfolio company, Constellium NV, a global aluminum fabricator, in the $1.4 billion acquisition of privately held Wise Metals Group LLC, a leading producer of aluminum can stock for the beverage and food industries
- Apollo Global Management and its portfolio company, Talos Energy Offshore LLC, in the $200 million acquisition of certain Gulf of Mexico off-shore, shallow zone oil and gas properties from Stone Energy Corp.
- Apollo Global Management in its $1.8 billion acquisition of the Bighorn oil and gas assets of Encana Corp. in Canada’s Alberta Deep Basin
- Apollo Global Management in partnering with Caelus Energy Alaska LLC in its $300 million acquisition of the Alaskan oil and gas business of Pioneer Natural Resources
- Apollo Global Management in its acquisition of certain assets of Hostess Brands, Inc.’s baked snack foods business for $410 million in cash
- Apollo Global Management in its $190 million acquisition of the formic acid business of Kemira Oyj
- Apollo Global Management in its $400 million acquisition of Pitney Bowes Management Services
- Apollo Global Management in its $2.5 billion purchase of McGraw-Hill’s education unit
- Apollo Global Management in forming a strategic partnership with Jimmy Sanders, Inc.
- Apollo Global Management in partnering with London developer Glebe Asset Management Ltd. in its acquisition of Data Centre
- Apollo Global Management in its $703 million acquisition of Wisconsin water park property owner and manager Great Wolf Resorts Inc.
- Apollo Global Management in its $1 billion investment in Norwegian Cruise Lines Corporation Ltd. and subsequent $3 billion merger with Prestige Cruises International
- Apollo Global Management in its $1.15 billion acquisition of Xstrata Aluminum (now Noranda)
- Apollo Global Management in its acquisition of International Paper Company’s fine paper business (renamed Verso Paper)
- Apollo Global Management in its $1.825 billion acquisition of Rexnord and $1.25 billion acquisition of Jacuzzi Brands, Inc.
- Apollo Global Management in its $3.8 billion acquisition of the plastics, resins, silicones and quartz (Advanced Materials) division of General Electric Co.
- Apollo Global Management in its $1.48 billion acquisition of the business and assets of the logistics division of TNT N.V., the Dutch parent company of TNT Logistics North America (now CEVA)
- Apollo Global Management in its acquisition of, and $1.85 billion secured load and high yield note and bridge financing in connection with its acquisition, of Berry Plastics
- Apollo Global Management and portfolio companies Borden Chemical, Inc. Resolution Performance Products LLC and Resolution Specialty Materials LLC in the formation of Hexion Specialty Chemicals, Inc. and subsequent tuck-in acquisitions of specialty chemical businesses of Akzo, Eastman, Orica, Rhodia, and Reutgers
- Apollo Global Management and the Texas Pacific Group LLC in their $15.1 billion acquisition of Caesar’s/Harrah’s Entertainment Inc.
- Apollo Global Management in its investment in two subsidiaries of Welspun Group
- CI Capital Partners in its acquisition of specialty packaging company IntraPac
- CI Capital Partners in its acquisition of Valley National Gases Incorporated
- Elementis in its acquisition of Deuchem
- Francisco Partners in its investment in Data Connection Limited
- International Game Technology in its acquisition of Cyberview Technology, Inc.
- KIK Custom Products, Inc., a portfolio company of CI Capital Partners, in its $300 million acquisition of the BioLab pool care additives business of Chemtura Corporation
- Kohlberg & Company, LLC in its acquisition of SM&P Utility Resources, Inc. and Central Locating Service, Ltd.
- Palladium Equity Partners in its acquisition of American Gilsonite Co.
- QSA Holdings Ltd., a portfolio company of Coller Capital Ltd., in the sale of its wholly-owned subsidiary, QSA Global Inc., to an undisclosed purchaser
- New York
- US Supreme Court
- Northeastern University, J.D., 1981
- Harvard University School of Public Health, M.S., 1976
- Harvard University, A.B., 1975: magna cum laude
- American Bar Association
- The Bar of the City of New York
- American Industrial Hygiene Association
Rate : $$$$