Pharmaceutical and life sciences companies facing tort claims rely on Eric Rumanek to achieve optimal resolutions. He draws on his significant experience in specialized areas of science and medicine to help his clients manage or eliminate their exposure.
Eric defends primarily pharmaceutical and medical device companies in litigation involving mass tort, personal injury and wrongful death claims in state and federal courts across the United States.
He is experienced with claims related to a range of products, such as hernia and pelvic mesh devices, cosmetic facial fillers, orthopedic knee injections, and pharmaceuticals for the treatment of epilepsy and psychiatric disorders.
He has experience serving as lead national counsel, litigating in “virtual firms” for large mass torts, and defending numerous single-plaintiff claims.
Clients appreciate Eric’s ability to navigate the intersection of science and the law. He is particularly adept at managing expert witnesses and preparing clients for all aspects of trial, though he creatively explores options for alternative dispute resolution whenever possible.
He also advises corporate leadership on managing the various risks involved with bringing innovative products to market.
In addition to his pharmaceutical practice, Eric is experienced in the energy industry and has successfully defended Georgia’s largest electric utility company in numerous tort and personal injury claims. He has also defended clients in litigation involving alleged violations of the Clean Air Act and the Toxic Substances Control Act.
Representative Matters :
- Served in a leadership role in multidistrict litigation for a global pharmaceutical company in a matter involving hernia mesh devices.
- Served as national counsel for a global pharmaceutical company in a matter involving a cosmetic facial filler device.
- Provided national representation of a global pharmaceutical company in multidistrict litigation involving thousands of pelvic mesh lawsuits.
- Served as lead counsel for a global pharmaceutical company defending a wrongful death claim involving an antiepileptic drug.
- Successfully defended a case involving severe personal injuries incurred by an individual who made contact with an underground power line using a jackhammer.
- Successfully defended multiple property damage claims arising out of alleged negligence by Georgia’s largest electrical utility.
Professional and Community Involvement :
- Vice Chair, Drug and Medical Device Committee Complex Medicine/Experts Specialized Litigation Group, Defense Research Institute
- Defense Research Institute Steering Committee
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Trial Attorneys of America
Professional Experience : Law Clerk, Honorable L. Scott Coogler, United States District Court, Northern District of Alabama, 2007-2008.
- University of Alabama, J.D., magna cum laude, 2007
- University of Alabama, B.S., summa cum laude, 2004
BAR ADMISSIONS : Georgia
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Georgia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- Supreme Court of Georgia
Rate : $$$