Erica Schohn’s practice focuses on compensation and benefits arrangements in U.S. and cross-border corporate transactions (including mergers and acquisitions, public offerings and bankruptcy reorganizations), the negotiation of executive employment and severance arrangements, and the drafting and implementation of equity and other compensation programs.
Ms. Schohn frequently advises clients on the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) rules governing executive compensation disclosure and corporate governance matters relating to compensation practices.
As part of this practice, Ms. Schohn is a member of panels and committees comprised of leading government and private- and public-company governance professionals, and she speaks regularly with representatives from the SEC, stock exchanges, institutional investor groups and proxy advisory firms on the latest issues in corporate governance.
Ms. Schohn also regularly advises clients regarding tax planning with respect to compliance with Internal Revenue Code Section 409A and the tax rules relating to deferred compensation, the excise tax on excess parachute payments and limits on the deductibility of executive compensation.
Her experience includes representing companies, private equity funds and individuals in, among others, the pharmaceutical, medical supply, financial, energy, entertainment and travel industries. Selected representative work experience for Ms. Schohn includes:
- Air Products and Chemicals, Inc. on the employee benefits and executive compensation aspects of its sale of the performance materials division of its materials technologies segment to Evonik Industries AG for $3.8 billion in cash;
- Cineworld Group PLC, the U.K.’s largest cinema operator, on its $5.9 billion acquisition of Regal Entertainment Group;
- Citigroup, Inc. in the $685 million sale of its fixed income analytics and index businesses to London Stock Exchange Group plc;
- Janus Capital Group, Inc. in its merger-of-equals with Henderson Group plc to form a new company called Janus Henderson Global Investors plc;
- Nasdaq, Inc. in connection with the carve-out sale of legal vehicles and assets comprising its public relations solutions and digital media services businesses to West Corporation;
- Veritas Capital in its $755 million acquisition of the capital services business of Chicago Bridge & Iron Company N.V.;
Ms. Schohn also has provided advisory work on compensation, benefits, securities and tax-related matters for public and private companies including, among others, Endo Health Solutions; Janus Henderson Global Investors; Medtronic; and Realogy.
Ms. Schohn is the founder of Connections, a group of employment and benefits lawyers from more than 30 countries on six continents who meet regularly to educate each other on global employment issues and speak at seminars on changes in laws relevant to multinational companies.
- J.D., Duke University School of Law, 2003 (magna cum laude)
- B.A., Pennsylvania State University, 2000 (high honors)
Admissions : New York
Rate : $$$