Erik Matheney is a partner in the Tampa office of Shutts & Bowen LLP, where he is a member of the Business Litigation Practice Group. He focuses on governmental compliance and complex commercial litigation in state and federal courts. He has represented clients in a wide variety of commercial disputes, including claims involving securities fraud, breach of contract, class actions, partnership disputes, trade secrets, common law fraud, and commercial torts.
Erik has also represented clients in white-collar criminal matters, including defending qui tam actions, and addressing federal and state regulatory compliance issues. Prior to joining the firm, he served as an Assistant United States Attorney for the Middle District of Florida.
Erik has tried over 70 jury trials, and has been involved in arbitration and substantive evidentiary hearings matters, such as:
- In 2004, successfully defending a health information service provider in a trade secret and civil fraud dispute.
- In 2009, successfully representing an American automotive manufacturer before the American Arbitration Association.
- In 2012, successfully representing a national IT company in a multiple week arbitration.
- In 2014, successfully representing a national product manufacturer in a multiple week trial in federal court.
Active in professional and Bar-related activities, Erik serves as Chair of the Middle District of Florida Grievance Committee, and is a board member of the Hillsborough County Bar Association and the Tampa Bay chapter of the Federal Bar Association.
He is a member of the Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel. Erik also serves as a board member of his church and counsel for the Western Florida Division of the Church of God in Christ.
PROFESSIONAL AND CIVIC ACTIVITIES:
- American Bar Association
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
- St. Petersburg Bar Association
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 1993
- Howard University, B.A., 1990
Rate : $$$