Erin Murphy is Senior Counsel in the Executive Compensation and Employee Benefits Practice at Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP. Erin regularly advises a variety of clients in executive compensation and benefits matters, with a particular focus in corporate transactions.
She has represented acquirers and targets in private equity transactions and leveraged buyouts; public and private companies in strategic mergers and acquisitions; and private equity funds and public and private targets in takeovers, sales and spin-offs.
Erin also has extensive experience counseling companies on golden parachute excise tax issues and on the negotiation of executive employment, separation and change-in-control agreements, the design and implementation of cash- and equity-based compensation plans and non-qualified deferred compensation plans (subject to Internal Revenue Code Sections 409A and 457A).
In addition, Erin’s practice includes the structuring, design and implementation of equity compensation arrangements for public and private companies, including stock options, stock appreciation rights, restricted stock, restricted stock units, phantom stock, and LLC/partnership interests (including profits interests).
Erin also advises clients in connection with compensation matters in initial public offerings, on public company compensation disclosure requirements and Internal Revenue Code Section 162(m) compliance. Erin has significant experience advising clients on compensation and benefits issues unique to bankruptcy and restructuring transactions.
- KKR & Co. L.P. in a strategic transaction to create a new liquid alternatives investment firm by combining Pacific Alternative Asset Management Company, LLC and KKR Prisma. The newly formed company, which will take on the new global brand, PAAMCO Prisma Holdings, will operate independently from KKR, and KKR will retain a 39.9% stake as a long-term strategic partner.
- KSL Capital Partners, LLC in its acquisition of Outrigger Hotels and Resorts (Outrigger), including all 37 properties in Outrigger’s multi-branded portfolio of hotels, condominiums and vacation resort properties.
- KKR Real Estate Finance Trust Inc. in its initial public offering of 11,787,500 shares of common stock at a public offering price of $20.50 per share.
- Silver Lake Partners in its investment of up to $400 million in Unity Software, Inc., the creator of an end-to-end development platform used to create rich interactive 2D, 3D, VR and AR video games and experiences.
- CA, Inc. $850 million senior notes offering, representing the underwriters, led by representatives of J.P. Morgan Securities LLC, Merrill Lynch, Pierce, Fenner & Smith Incorporated and Morgan Stanley & Co. LLC, in the registered public offering of $500 million of 3.6% Senior Notes due 2022 and $350 million of 4.7% Senior Notes due 2027 by CA, Inc.
Experience prior to Simpson Thacher includes:
- Time Warner Cable in its $78.7 billion merger with Charter Communications Inc., its terminated $45.2 billion stock-for-stock merger with Comcast Corporation, its separation from Time Warner Inc. and its joint bid with Comcast Corporation to acquire the assets of Adelphia Communications Corporation
- Ric Edelman in the sales of Edelman Financial Services in two separate transactions, one to Lee Equity and another to Hellman & Friedman LLC
- Blackstone in its minority investments in a leading multi-strat alternatives firm, a leading long-short hedge fund firm and a leading credit opportunities hedge fund firm
- General Atlantic, a private equity investment firm, in its acquisition of leading global beauty brand Too Faced Cosmetics from Weston Presidio and in its acquisition and combination of two online brokerage firms, OptionsHouse, LLC and tradeMonster
- TPG, Oaktree and JH Investments in the $1.2 billion acquisition of Taylor Wimpey’s North American real estate operations
- Caesars Entertainment Corporation in connection with the chapter 11 cases of its subsidiary Caesars Entertainment Operating Company, Inc. (“CEOC”) and certain of CEOC’s wholly owned subsidiaries and in the formation of a new growth-oriented entity, Caesars Growth Partners, and a related $1.1 billion rights offering
Erin has also spent time counseling investment fund sponsors on ERISA issues associated with the formation of private investment funds and the structuring of underlying investments. She has experience in acquisitions and sales of investment managers, minority investments in traditional and alternative asset management firms, and lift-outs of investment management businesses and teams from larger organizations. She has also acted as an advisor to founders and partners of alternative asset managers and to executives of public and private corporations.
Representative investment fund representations prior to joining Simpson Thacher include: Apollo, Blackstone/GSO, Harvest Partners, KKR, Oaktree, Oak Hill Advisors, and Trilantic Capital Partners. Erin received her J.D. from Northwestern University School of Law and her A.B., cum laude, from Duke University. She is admitted to practice in New York.
- Northwestern University School of Law, 2000 J.D.
- Duke University, 1995 A.B.
- cum laude
Admissions : New York 2001
Rate : $$$