Erin G.H. Sloane’s practice focuses on government and internal investigations and white collar criminal matters, with a concentration on Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and international anti-corruption issues.
She has successfully represented both institutions and individuals in government investigations and prosecutions involving financial and accounting fraud, insider trading, wire fraud, and FCPA issues.
Ms. Sloane has conducted numerous cross-border corruption investigations in Asia, Eastern Europe, the Middle East and South America, and regularly appears before the US Department of Justice (DOJ) and Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) in corruption-related investigations.
In addition to her work on several publicly disclosed government resolutions, she has successfully achieved multiple non-public DOJ and SEC declinations for clients in FCPA matters.
Ms. Sloane also regularly counsels clients on challenging anti-corruption issues in numerous business contexts, including the development and implementation of effective anti-corruption compliance programs and corruption-related considerations in cross-border mergers, joint ventures and acquisitions.
Ms. Sloane is one of the founders of the Innocence Project’s Young Professionals Committee (YPC)—a group of young professionals dedicated to supporting the Innocence Project through fundraising and community outreach efforts. Ms. Sloane is also actively involved in WilmerHale’s Women’s Leadership Initiative.
Ms. Sloane has played key roles in numerous investigations by the DOJ and SEC, as well as many corporate internal investigations, and has led global FCPA due diligence reviews in several multi-billion-dollar M&A transactions. She has also been involved in securing a number of nonpublic prosecution declinations by the DOJ and SEC in connection with possible FCPA violations by various multinational clients. A select list of her recent experience includes :
- representing a major foreign technology conglomerate in ongoing SEC and DOJ investigations into allegations of FCPA violations at a US-based avionics subsidiary;
- representing a major media and communications company in connection with the successful resolution of the US Attorney for the Eastern District of New York’s investigation into its Argentine joint venture’s role in the FIFA corruption scandal;
- securing a favorable SEC settlement and DOJ declination on behalf a US-based oilfield services company in connection with a global FCPA investigation involving allegations of improper payments to a Mexican foreign official;
- leading a global due diligence review of more than 150 third-party advisors in more than 30 countries in connection with a criminal investigation of a large defense contractor and manufacturer by the DOJ and UK Serious Fraud Office;
- representing an international financial services firm in an insider trading prosecution of a former investment bank employee;
- participating in a secondment to the internal investigations group of a multinational pharmaceutical corporation.
- JD, New York University School of Law, 2003
- BA, University of Virginia, 1998
ADMISSIONS : New York
CLERKSHIPS : The Hon. Michael Daly Hawkins, US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, 2003 – 2004
Rate : $$$