Esther H. Lim, the 47th president of the D.C. Bar, has over twenty years of experience in patent law, including litigation, prosecution, licensing, and counseling. She represents international companies from Asia, Europe, and the United States in complex cases involving technologies ranging from computers to pharmaceuticals. Esther served as the founding managing partner of Finnegan’s Shanghai office.
Esther frequently writes and lectures internationally on issues relating to procurement and enforcement of U.S. intellectual property rights. For ten years, she served as editor-in-chief of the firm’s Last Month at the Federal Circuit newsletter. She now serves as an advisor and contributor for Finnegan’s Federal Circuit IP blog. Estherserved as a law clerk to the Honorable Randall R. Rader at the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
Estheris active in bar leadership, community outreach, and pro bono work. She has served in leadership positions of many associations, including the D.C. Bar, ABA, Washington Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights and Urban Affairs, APABA-DC, and NAPABA.
Teaching as an adjunct professor at Howard University School of Law since 2003, she also chairs its Annual Conference on Intellectual Property and Social Justice. She has handled a variety of pro bono cases, including landlord/tenant, veteran’s appeal, and special education matters, and has volunteered at client intakes at community clinics.
Esther has received recognitions from Chambers Global and was recognized as a leader in the field of intellectual property law by Chambers Asia. Esther was recognizedas one of the Top 250 Women in IP Law by Managing Intellectual Property.
- University of Maryland School of Law J.D., 1995
- Towson University B.A., Computer Science and Mathematics, summa cum laude, 1992
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit, Hon. Randall Ray Rader
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Professional Activities :
- D.C. Bar (president, 2018-present; president-elect, 2017-2018; Global Legal Practice Task Force, 2014-2017; Nominations Committee, 2002; Board of Governors, 2005-2008)
- American Bar Association (Board of Directors, FJE East Asia Limited, 2017-present; ABA Presidential Appointment to the Asia Law Initiative Council, 2012-2015; Planning Committee for National Conference for the Minority Lawyer, 2006)
- Washington Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights and Urban Affairs (Board of Directors, 2007-2008)
- Historical Society of the D.C. Circuit (Board of Directors, 2016-2019)
- Asian Pacific American Bar Association of the Greater Washington, D.C. Area (president, 2001-2002; Board of Directors, 1999-2005)
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association (secretary, 2007-2008; IP Committee, 2005-2013; Board of Governors, 2003-2005)
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association, Women’s Leadership Committee (co-chair, 2003-2007)
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association Law Foundation (Board of Directors, 2005-2007)
- D.C. Computer Law Forum (president, 2003-2005)
- International Association of Korean Lawyers (regional governor, 2007-2014)
- Federal Circuit Bar Association (Planning Committee for United States-China Intellectual Property Adjudication Conference, 2012-present; Planning Committee for Global Communities Conference, 2011)
Rate : $$$