Ethan Miller is a trial lawyer and a partner with Baker McKenzie’s San Francisco and Palo Alto offices. He tries cases in federal and state courts with significant experience in disputes involving joint ventures, employment, insurance, intellectual property, real estate, mergers and acquisitions, and environmental contamination and remediation projects.
Ethan regularly briefs and argues appeals in US state and federal courts in both appeals from his own underlying cases and as a specially retained appellate counsel. He is well known for speaking on trial management issues and his strategy on trial graphics, selection, management and presentation of expert witnesses and on the attorney-client privilege. Prior to joining the Firm, Ethan was a partner at several other international law firms.
Ethan is adept at working with forensic accountants to analyze complex inter-company financial records to identify fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, and similar transgressions involving shell companies and off-shore transfers, tax avoidance and money laundering schemes.
He advises on corporate divestitures of assets and liabilities, cross-border trade secrets, formation and dissolution of business entities, joint ventures, unfair competition, the factoring of contingent liabilities for non-US investors, workouts, and SEC and environmental regulatory investigations.
He has particular expertise in environmental compliance, real estate lease negotiations, and real estate transfer projects with a particular emphasis on brownfields, BRAC and other contaminated properties. He also provides advice on cross border data privacy and protection of intellectual properties.
Ethan’s employment practice involves cases of discrimination and wrongful termination, trade secret issues arising from mergers and acquisitions and general corporate risk management issues.
He has advised on a wide range of insurance matters such as bad faith claims, complex insurance coverage, professional, advertising injury, and directors and officers liability insurance, high-limit finite risk insurance policies and other unique risk management products.
- University of California, Davis (JD) (1991)
- University of California, Riverside (BA) (1987)
- U.S. Supreme Court~United States (2002)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit~United States (2000)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California~United States (1991)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California~United States (1991)
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Defense Research Institute – Member
- Los Angeles Bar Association, Litigation and Environmental Law Section – Member
- American Bar Association, Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section – Member
- Bar Association of San Francisco – Member
Rate : $$$