Eugene (Chip) F. Cowell represents companies, underwriters and investors in corporate finance and securities matters, with particular experience in structuring complex financing arrangements and analyzing debt investment opportunities.
A seasoned indenture practitioner, Chip brings to his practice in-depth market knowledge and a practical, solution-oriented focus. He advises issuers in achieving state-of-the-art enhancements in new financings. Chip also assists companies in ongoing covenant compliance matters, using work-around techniques to engineer solutions.
- Advisor to underwriters in more than 75 debt and equity offerings and issuers in more than 100 securities offerings.
- Extensive experience in corporate finance and securities matters.
- Particular skill in structuring complex financing arrangements and analyzing debt investment opportunities.
- As a “go-to” partner for convertible equity transactions, negotiated significant provisions for a midstream master limited partnership (MLP) issuer of preferred securities.
- Harnessed deep securities and debt experience to devise practical solutions under existing debt of power generation holding company, using innovative analysis in complex indenture matters to achieve company-favorable solutions.
- Assisted a private equity client in developing a market-standard, cross-border secured financing structure for Canadian oil and gas exploration companies, translating investor protections and liquidity benefits of U.S. public securities.
- Used seasoned market know-how to achieve state-of-the-art covenant package for a first-time secured bond issuer, implementing significant issuer-favorable enhancements to ensure operational flexibility.
- Utilized extensive experience in engineering covenant workarounds to unlock $20 million of liquidity for a new restructuring client, using a buried loophole in asset sale restriction, an exception overlooked by predecessor law firm.
- Member, Inclusion Council, which promotes diversity in Akin Gump’s ranks, Houston office and firm-wide.
- Board of Directors, Tennis Committee Chair, Houston Racquet Club.
- Councilmember, City of Hunters Creek Village.
- Board of Trustees, Chapelwood United Methodist Church.
- Member, Board of Directors, Yale Club of Houston.
- IFLR1000 United States, Notable Practitioner, Banking, Capital Markets: Debt and Capital Markets: High Yield practice areas, and the Energy and Oil & Gas industry sectors, 2019.
- J.D., Yale Law School, 1982
- B.A., Yale University, summa cum laude, 1979
- U.S.C.A., 9th Circuit
- New York
Rate : $$$