Evan Gibbs is an experienced labor and employment litigator who has achieved numerous significant victories in federal court, state court and administrative proceedings in multiple states. This hands-on experience gives Evan an edge when counseling clients.
Evan litigates cases at the forefront of the nation’s most pressing contemporary civil rights issues throughout the U.S., but primarily in the deep south. Evan has handled cases involving sexual and gender-based harassment, gay and transgender rights, and race discrimination, among others.
He’s also handled investigations into allegations of improper conduct by executives and elected officials. Evan has been interviewed by various news media outlets on these issues and the #MeToo movement, including NBC New York, The Los Angeles Daily News, BuzzFeed News, and others.
Evan also litigates trade secret and restrictive covenant matters, including the case resulting in the first published decision in Georgia interpreting the recently-enacted federal Defend Trade Secrets Act. With this background, Evan is frequently asked to prepare and assess employment agreements for executives and other high-level employees throughout the U.S.
Evan has extensive experience representing clients in traditional labor matters, including union organizing campaigns, collective bargaining, grievances and arbitrations, decertification campaigns, unit clarification proceedings, and representation before state and federal administrative agencies.
He’s also a columnist for the popular legal news site AboveTheLaw.com, which he’s been doing since 2016. When he’s not working, Evan does CrossFit, plays drums, and he loves anything involving dogs (because dogs are the best). He also loves reading, especially National Geographic magazine.
Representative Matters :
- First-chaired and won an administrative trial against a government agency.
- Argued multiple successful summary judgment motions and other procedural and evidentiary motions in state and federal courts in multiple states.
- Successfully briefed and argued for early dismissal of claims in various jurisdictions and secured multiple awards of costs and attorneys’ fees against opposing parties.
- Taken and defended dozens of depositions later used in winning dispositive and nondispositive motions.
- Handled high-level workplace investigations involving executives as well as elected and appointed government officials.
- Represented clients in labor arbitrations and in collective bargaining agreement negotiations.
Professional and Community Involvement :
- Federal Bar Association
- Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) – Atlanta
- SHRM Jacksonville (Board of Directors, 2012-2015)
- Leadership St. Johns (Class of 2016)
- Florida State University College of Law, J.D., 2011, Editorial Board, Florida State University Law Review
- Valdosta State University, B.A., 2008
BAR ADMISSIONS : Georgia, Florida, Colorado
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
Rate : $$$