Evan M. Jones has broad experience in all facets of reorganization – both in and out of court – having represented bank groups, secured creditors, debtors, unsecured creditor committees, acquirers of distressed assets, and other constituents. He has worked in media, entertainment, real estate, hospitality, retail, manufacturing and other industries.
Evan is experienced in both reorganization-related litigation and transactions ranging from large billion dollar national cases to smaller regional ones. In addition to restructuring, Evan also is involved in structuring deals to avoid or minimize the risks of bankruptcy, in close cooperation with the attorneys in our entertainment, structured finance, corporate, and infrastructure practices.
Evan is active in entertainment matters, representing major and mini-major studios, distribution and production companies, licensees of rights, investors and production companies in bankruptcy and out of court restructurings.
In technology cases, Evan has represented creditors committees, lenders, investors and buyers in numerous sales and workouts of technology-related companies. He writes and lectures extensively on technology and bankruptcy issues.
Evan has extensive experience in real estate restructurings, workouts, and bankruptcies involving oil and gas projects, alternative energy, coal companies, timber assets, hotels, apartment complexes, office buildings, and residential developments. He also is bankruptcy liaison to the Firm’s Environmental group.
Evan is recognized by Chambers and Partners USA as one of the leading insolvency/corporate recovery lawyers in California and was selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America. Chambers particularly highlights Evan’s “sterling work on behalf of major financial institutions and banks.”
- Represented agent bank in restructuring of geothermal project
- Represented a lead lender to Tribune Broadcasting
- Represented secured creditors in entertainment bankruptcies including Relativity, RHIand TeeVee Toons, Inc., recovering collateral through settlement and sales
- Represented lead investors in restructuring of mini-major film studio
- Represented secured noteholders in restructuring of municipally financed alternative energy project
- Represented the agent bank for secured lenders in the bankruptcy and sale of Scotia Pacific, Inc., a large timber company, obtaining a full cash payment of principal and interest
- Represented lenders recovering over US$325 million (principal and default interest and fees) through restructuring of coal company Horizon Natural Resources, AEI Resources
- Represented pre-petition and DIP lenders in recovering approximately US$500 million in loans (principal and default interest and fees) by compelling pre-plan sale of multi-dimensional agricultural cooperative in the Chapter 11 of Farmland Industries Inc.
- Represented the special committee of the Board in consummating the sale of Davis Petroleum on the first day of prepackaged bankruptcy case
- Represented Gottschalks, Inc. in connection with its recent chapter 11 filing, securing US$125 million of debtor-in-possession financing
- Represented creditors’ committee in bankruptcy of computer manufacturer Trigem Texas, Inc.
- Represented conduit issuer for LAX bonds in dispute over lease recharacterization in Chapter 11 of Delta Airlines
- Represented buyer in two-stage acquisition of debtor Pillowtex Corporation’s complex in Kannapolis, North Carolina for redevelopment in multi-use community
- Represented largest creditor of restructuring of Hyatt Waikiki hotel
- Represented secured lender in acquiring Baldwin Piano and Organ Company through pre-plan foreclosure
- Represented creditors committee in Applied Magnetics Corporation reorganization
- Represented purchaser of television station from bankruptcy in Urban BroadcastingChapter 11
- Represented investor in the large real estate restructuring of Gas Company Tower, confirming client’s plan over debtor’s competing plan
- Represented unsecured bank creditors in obtaining full repayment with interest and fees in bankruptcy of Sizzler Restaurants, Inc.
- Represented the debtor in possession of Phar-Mor, Inc.
- Represented the secured lenders in DIP financing of Revco, D.S.
- Represented the largest secured lender in restructuring of Leisure Tech, Inc., a major home builder
- Represented the secured bank group in the bankruptcy of EPI Products, U.S.A.
- Represented the secured lender in the restructuring of petroleum plant Collet Ventures, Inc.
- Successfully represented Sony Pictures Entertainment in the various bankruptcies and litigation regarding “Spiderman,” including obtaining the rights to produce and distribute the film
- Represented distributors, licensees of rights, investors, and production companies in Orion, 21st Century Productions, Carolco, Cannon, and other cases
- District of Columbia
- US District Court, Central and Eastern Districts of California, and District of Columbia
- University of California at Berkeley, J.D., 1984: Order of the Coif; Editor, California Law Review
- Duke University, A.B., 1981: magna cum laude; Pi Sigma Alpha (National Political Science Honor Society)
Rate : $$$