Fernando A. Bohorquez is a forward-thinking, problem-solving, innovative attorney who handles commercial, intellectual property (IP), and bankruptcy litigation and business disputes. Currently the Litigation Group coordinator for BakerHostetler’s New York office, Fernando has deep knowledge and experience with all phases of civil litigation, managing large-scale cases in high-profile and high-pressure environments.
He leverages these skills sets, as well as his networks inside and outside the firm, to advise a variety of emerging tech startup and social media clients on business law, intellectual property, online advertising, and privacy and data security.
He is a frequent speaker on social media and digital marketing, privacy and data security, electronic discovery, and law firm diversity initiatives, and has published several articles and blogs on online advertising and marketing, internet-related intellectual property issues, and electronic discovery, including regularly contributing to the firm’s Data Privacy Monitor and IP Intelligence blogs. For Fernando’s thought leadership on these topics, click here and here.
Fernando is also certified as an Information Privacy Professional by the International Association of Privacy Professionals. Fernando is very involved and invested in the startup community, representing and counseling early-stage companies in the ad tech, civic tech and health tech verticals.
He serves as a leading member of the firm’s Emerging Company team, spearheading the firm’s sponsorship of the German Accelerator program in New York City as well as the New York office’s collaboration with Civic Hall, and he speaks at local law schools.
Fernando’s commitment to diversity also extends to the startup space, where he represents and counsels various minority- and female-owned tech companies.
- Represented a senior government official in Iqbal v. Ashcroft, involving constitutional and statutory challenges to the detention policies following the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, resulting in a favorable U.S. Supreme Court ruling on the pleading standards required to bring actions in federal court.
- Managed a large-scale, multidisciplinary team in Lanham Act litigation against numerous competitors of a leading client in the prepaid calling card industry.
- Managed a large-scale litigation team in Lanham Act claims against a competitor trademarking distributor for a beauty care industry client.
- Advises numerous technology companies in pre-litigation work, including on contract and intellectual property issues, and handles disputes with customers and partners to avoid litigation.
- Regularly advises technology startup founders in potential pre-litigation internal and external business disputes, including employment terminations, redemption agreements, convertible and promissory notes, and vendor and customer contracts.
- Provides a leading enterprise-level social relationship platform with a comprehensive assessment of all the major social media networks’ privacy policies and analyzes the company’s data use cases across the multiple social media platforms to maximize brand and agency customer value.
- Provides pre-litigation and contract counsel to a first-in-class ad fraud, viewability and brand safety tech startup on Lanham Act, unfair competition and trademark matters.
- Provides broad-ranging and ongoing privacy and IP counsel to a rapidly growing ad tech startup platform optimizing mobile advertising campaigns.
- New York State Bar Association
- Nominating Committee: Delegate
- Social Media Committee: Member
- House of Delegates: Former Diversity Delegate
- New York City Bar Association
- Pro Bono Committee: Former Secretary
- Hispanic National Bar Association
- New York Region: Deputy President
- National Mentoring Program Committee: Former Member
- The City of New York Conflicts of Interest Board: Board Member
- LatinoJustice Puerto Rican Legal Defense and Education Fund: Board Member
- American Constitution Society, New York Lawyer Chapter: Executive Committee Member
- Fund for Modern Courts: Board Member
- New York County Democratic Committee Judicial Screening Panel: Past Administrator
- LL.M., Georgetown University Law Center, 2001
- J.D., New York Law School, 1999, magna cum laude
- B.A., University of Delaware, 1995
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2010
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit, 2006
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit, 2001
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York, 2003
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, 2003
Rate : $$$$