Frank G. Burt has broad experience in several substantive areas, including major market conduct and financial services litigation and appeals, First Amendment, intellectual property and employment law. He has extensive experience managing major class action litigation on behalf of financial services institutions in more than 40 states, and he is a frequent speaker on class action issues.
Frank represents banks, insurance companies, other financial institutions and major building materials manufacturers in a range of substantive areas, including major litigation and appeals, regulatory investigations and resolutions, mergers and acquisitions, and trademarks and intellectual property. He has defended financial services institutions in federal and state courts throughout the country.
Frank’s substantial experience litigating intellectual property issues includes trademark and copyright infringement and trade dress violations. He has been involved in precedent-setting communications law cases, including those related to First Amendment law as it pertains to the news and media industry.
Frank has litigated on behalf of and represented some of the nation’s top communications companies on issues such as libel and slander defense, defamation counseling and journalistic access. Many of his cases have shaped the development of access law, as a significant number of these rulings have set state and federal precedents on how access law should be treated.
- Patel v. Specialized Loan Servicing, LLC, 2018 WL 4559091 (11th Cir. Sept. 24, 2018)
- Patel v. Specialized Loan Servicing LLC, 2016 WL 1663827 (S.D. Fla. Apr. 25, 2016)
- Trevathan v. Select Portfolio Servicing, Inc., 142 F. Supp. 3d 1283 (S.D. Fla. 2015)
- Roberts v. Wells Fargo Bank, N.A., No. 12 Civ. 200, 2013 WL 1233268 (S.D. Ga. Mar. 27, 2013)
- Cramer v. John Alden Life Ins. Co., 2011 WL 382227 (D. Mont. 2011)
- Mooney v. Allianz Life Ins. Co. of North America, 2010 WL 419962 (D. Minn. 2010)
- Schilke v. Wachovia Mortg., FSB, 705 F.Supp. 2d 932, 758 F.Supp.2d 549, 820 F. Supp. 2d 185 (N.D.Ill. 2010)
- Wahl v. American Sec. Ins. Co., 2010 WL 1881126 (N.D.Cal. 2010) and 2009 WL 1766620 (N.D.Cal. 2009)
- Buell v. Direct General Insurance Agency, et al., 2008 WL 598281 (11th Cir. 2008)
- American Bankers Group, Inc. v. United States, 408 F.3d 1328 (11th Cir. 2005)
- Woodall v. GE Financial Assurance Holdings, Inc., et al., Case No. 02-04025 (Fla. 13th Cir. Ct. 2003), affirmed (Fla. 2d Dist. Ct. App. 2004)
- Minton v. American Bankers Ins. Co., 2003 WL 21303330 (11th Cir. 2003)
- University of Miami, J.D., 1975
- University of Michigan, B.A., 1971, with distinction
Bar Admissions : District of Columbia, Florida
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- U.S. Tax Court
Rate : $$$$