Frank Cruz-Alvarez is a trial lawyer with more than 15 years of experience representing companies and individuals in a variety of complex domestic and international disputes. Frank has represented numerous Fortune 100 companies, serving in a number of capacities from pre-trial counselor to trial and appellate counsel.
In addition to trying cases, Frank often provides strategic advice to trial teams and handles legal arguments in high-stakes trials, including in the most plaintiff-friendly venues in the United States.
He frequently develops new and creative arguments and has achieved a number of significant victories—including dismissal of his clients before trial in some cases, favorable evidentiary rulings and jury instructions during trial in others.
In addition to his U.S.-based trial practice, Frank also represents foreign and domestic corporations in arbitrations throughout the world. He is familiar with and has participated in arbitrations administered pursuant to the rules of a number of arbitral bodies.
Frank is a frequent writer and commentator on a broad array of legal issues, including enforcement of arbitral awards under the New York Convention, the Alien Tort Statute, discovery in international litigation, Article III standing in U.S.-based class actions, federal preemption, the scope and application of the Class Action Fairness Act (CAFA) and punitive damages.
Frank’s experience includes:
- lead co-counsel for claimants, a U.S. construction company and its CEO, in a multimillion-dollar investment dispute arbitration under ICSID rules;
- lead counsel for a major chemical company in international commercial arbitration under the rules of the International Center for Dispute Resolution;
- obtained summary judgment on behalf of an infrastructure management company engaged in a contract dispute presenting an issue of first impression under Florida law;
- the representation of a manufacturer of a hip replacement system in federal litigation;
- the representation of diet drug and contact lens solution manufacturers in Florida state courts;
- national counsel and trial counsel for a major tobacco industry client in cases pending in Florida state and federal courts;
- national counsel for a major tobacco industry client in lawsuits filed in Florida state court by flight attendants alleging injuries from exposure to secondhand smoke onboard airplanes;
- amicus curiae appellate briefs on behalf of national trade associations in numerous cases pending in the Florida intermediate appellate courts and Florida Supreme Court.
- J.D., with honors, University of Florida Frederic G. Levin College of Law, 2001
- B.A., with honors, University of Florida, 1998
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- London Court of International Arbitration
- International Bar Association
- International Council For Commercial Arbitration (ICCA)
- American Society of Legal Writers (SCRIBES)
- Cuban-American Bar Association
- Hispanic National Bar Association
Rate : $$$$