Throughout his legal career, Frederick Robinson – a partner in our Life Sciences Health Industry Group – has represented a wide variety of health care and life science companies in government investigations, including administrative audits, False Claims Act litigation and white-collar criminal cases.
In all these matters, which often proceed simultaneously, Rick combines the skills he developed as a trial lawyer with a broad knowledge of administrative law and health care regulations.
His clients have included health systems and hospitals, academic medical centers (both public and private) and faculty practice plans, medical device and pharmaceutical manufacturers, retail pharmacies and wholesalers, long-term care providers, clinical laboratories, multi-specialty physician groups, and individual physicians.
His cases cover such diverse topics as Medicare and Medicaid billing rules, Anti-Kickback and Stark Law compliance, FCPA and similar anti-corruption legislation overseas, government contracts and grants, research integrity and human subject protections, and FDA approvals and clearances.
Rick also helps clients avoid unwanted scrutiny by working with them to design regulatory compliance programs and by advising them on a multitude of voluntary disclosure issues. In addition, Rick has represented many of our clients in litigation affirmatively challenging regulations and policies adopted by government agencies.
Rick combines the skills he developed as a trial lawyer with a broad knowledge of administrative law and health care regulations to defend our health care and life science clients in government audits and investigations.
He helps clients avoid unwanted scrutiny by working with them to design regulatory compliance programs and by advising them on a multitude of voluntary disclosure issues. Rick also has represented many of our clients in litigation affirmatively challenging regulations and policies adopted by government agencies.
Rick’s cases cover all phases of trial and appellate practice in both criminal and civil cases, including qui tam and “whistle blower” lawsuits under the federal False Claims Act.
Rick’s clients include hospitals, academic medical centers, managed care organizations, pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers, retail pharmacies, clinical laboratories, physicians and other health care providers. He also represents major corporations and their officers in white-collar criminal cases, including high-profile public corruption cases.
- Duke University School of Law, 1982, J.D., honors
- Duke University, 1979, B.A., honors
Professional Admissions & Qualifications :
- District of Columbia
Professional Affiliations :
- American Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Maryland Bar
- National Association of College and University Attorneys
- Representation of national retail pharmacy chains in coordinated federal and state investigations of Medicare and Medicaid claims.
- Representation of academic medical centers, hospitals and health centers in federal and state investigations regarding “72-hour rule,” pneumonia DRG coding, unbundling of lab charges, teaching physician billing rules, and implantation of non-FDA approved medical devices.
- Representation of a national home health care company in several False Claims Act cases, including whistleblower lawsuits, regarding Medicaid and Medicare cost reports.
- Representation of pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers in government investigations and qui tam litigation involving alleged off-label promotion.
- Representation of a national emergency room staffing company in False Claims Act litigation involving coding of evaluation and management services.
- Creation and implementation of compliance programs for academic medical centers, hospitals and health systems, home health companies, durable medical equipment suppliers, physician groups, and medical device manufacturers.
- Advising pharmaceutical and medical device companies on FDA and health care regulatory issues, including clinical trial agreements and oversight, product approvals, post-market surveillance, marketing and promotional activities, anti-kickback compliance, and insurance coverage and payment.
Rate : $$$