Frederick Schmidt has negotiated numerous contract solutions for large energy users and renewable energy project developers and navigated the most complicated utility rate proceedings to save hundreds of millions of dollars for his clients.
Fred’s advocacy for clients in utility rate cases have consistently resulted in millions of dollars saved for clients in several jurisdictions and resulted in the largest rate reduction in Nevada history, upheld after his argument to the Nevada Supreme Court.
Fred offers his energy clients over 30 years’ experience in the complex and constantly changing utility regulatory environment. His experience includes having twice been appointed commissioner on the Nevada Public Service Commission (currently the PUCN) and over a decade as Nevada’s Consumer Advocate creating and leading the Attorney General’s Bureau of Consumer Protection. It also includes three years as counsel for the Colorado River Commission.
- University of New Hampshire Franklin Pierce School of Law, J.D., 1980
- Heidelberg University, B.S., 1975
Bar Admissions : Nevada
Professional and Civic Affiliations:
- State Bar of Nevada, Energy Utilities and Communication Law Section, First Elected Chairman and current Executive Committee Member
- The National Association of Consumer Advocates, Washington D.C. office, President and Executive Committee Member
- National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners, Electric and Water Committees, Member
- Nevada Public Service Commission, Former Commissioner
Rate : $$$