Frederick Jay Sperling has more than three decades of experience with high profile, complex civil litigation, including successfully representing national entertainment and media companies and major sports figures.
He has a broad litigation and counseling practice that includes sports, media, and entertainment law; misappropriation of the right of publicity; defamation; professional liability; trusts; real estate; and commercial law.
Cases that Fred has handled include:
- Obtained a verdict after a two-week jury trial of $8.9 million in favor Michael Jordan against Safeway and Dominick’s for the unauthorized use of his identity in an ad published in a Sports Illustrated commemorative issue celebrating Michael Jordan’s induction into the Basketball Hall of Fame.
- Successful prosecution of claims and establishment of appellate precedent on the scope of commercial speech for Michael Jordan against Supervalu and Jewel Food Stores for the unauthorized use of his identity in an ad published in a Sports Illustrated commemorative issue celebrating Michael Jordan’s induction into the Basketball Hall of Fame.
- Successful prosecution of claims against Samsung for the unauthorized use of Pele’s identity in a look-alike ad published in The New York Times and other national publications.
- Successful prosecution of claims against Fox Broadcasting Company for the unauthorized use of Muhammad Ali’s identity in a promotional video broadcast during the pregame show before the Super Bowl.
- Successful defense of claims seeking $40 million for breach of contract, unjust enrichment, fraudulent inducement, tortious interference with business relationships, and violation of the Illinois Trade Secrets Act against Elton Brand.
- University of Chicago Law School, J.D., 1979
- Amherst College, B.A., 1975
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)
- American Bar Association, Past Member of the House of Delegates
- Chicago Bar Association
- Chicago Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, Past President
- Chicago Council of Lawyers, Past President
- Governor’s Task Force on Judicial Merit Selection, Past Member
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Illinois Supreme Court Special Commission on the Administration of Justice, Past Membe
Rate : $$$