Working with strategies on a wide-ranging portfolio of projects and issues, Frederick M. Thurman primarily counsels clients in employment law compliance. Derick also represents clients in employment-related litigation, as well as employee benefits litigation, business torts, and general commercial litigation.
His leadership roles, including serving as chair of the Labor and Employment Law Section of the North Carolina Bar Association and vice chair of the Employment Law Section of the Mecklenburg County Bar, deepen Derick’s understanding of the challenges faced by his corporate clients. Additionally, his frequent continuing legal education (CLE) presentations allow him to stay very current with the law.
Experienced in trying cases in both federal and state courts, Derick has extensive experience in employment and commercial litigation, including appellate briefing and arguments, jury trials, arbitrations, and hearings before various government agencies.
On the compliance counseling side of his practice, Derick regularly advises business clients on matters such as personnel policy drafting and review, employment contract drafting and review, and similar matters.
- J.D., Cumberland School of Law of Samford University, 1995
- National Institute for Trial Advocacy, Southeast Regional Program, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2002
- B.S., magna cum laude, Clemson University, 1992
Professional and Community Affiliations:
- North Carolina Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section Chair (2007 – 2008); Vice Chair (2006 – 2007); CLE Committee Chair (2005 – 2007); Secretary (2002 – 2004); Council Member (2002 – 2005; 2005 – 2008)
- Mecklenburg County Bar, Labor and Employment Section Vice Chair (2018 – 2019)
- Mecklenburg County Bar Member (1999 – ); CLE Steering Committee (2016 – 2017); CLE Committee (2015 – 2017)
Rate : $$$