Friedemann Thomma, chair of Venable’s International Tax Practice, focuses on corporate international tax planning and U.S. taxation of foreign operations. Friedemann has managed large-scale global structuring projects, including the design, implementation, and post-implementation phases.
He has also served as the primary contact for multinational corporate clients, working closely with in-house tax, legal, treasury, and accounting departments to implement international legal and tax restructuring projects and post-M&A-integration projects.
His clients include publicly traded multinational corporations in the high-tech sector, start-up companies, mid-market companies, high-end consumer manufacturing corporations, and high-net-worth individuals.
Friedemann began his legal career at an international law firm, advising domestic and international investment funds and individual investors on matters related to inbound and outbound tax, partnership tax, real estate tax, and executive compensation.
His clients have included private equity funds, hedge funds, real estate funds, distressed debt funds, U.S. taxable and tax-exempt investors, and international investors.
- Advised Dechra Veterinary Products on international tax issues, in an exclusive licensing deal with Kane Biotech Inc.
- Represented a publicly traded entertainment company in China, in various commercial mergers and acquisitions transactions, and in international tax strategies to manage global tax rates effectively
- Represented R2P Pet, a Hong Kong-based pet products company, in a multijurisdictional management buyout transaction involving Hong Kong, the United States, Canada, and the Cayman Islands
- Represented Reichle & De-Massari Holding, a Swiss provider of communication cabling systems, in acquiring its first U.S. company, REALM Communications Group, a Bay Area fiber optic specialist
- Assisted TF Bank in pursuing a distribution in re Arcapita Bank B.S.C. et al., in Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York, and with providing court-mandated information, in order for the distribution to be processed.
- J.D. Boston College Law School 2003
- B.A. University of California at Berkeley 1999
Bar Admissions : California, New York
- Spent four years in Germany as part of a piano-making and design apprenticeship
- Spent time in Italy and Switzerland building and assembling grand pianos, teaching manufacturing skills, implementing design techniques, and running an independent piano business
- Served in the Swiss military.
Rate : $$$$