Roxanne Elings is recognized as one of the nation’s leading trademark and brand management attorneys, having been named one of “The 20 Most Influential Women in IP” in 2014 by Law360 and ranked each year since 2010 by World Trademark Review as one of the top attorneys nationally in trademark prosecution, enforcement/litigation, and anti-counterfeiting. She is the only attorney to receive top rankings in these three categories, which, according to WTR, indicates “an exceptional national reach and reputation.”
As a member of DWT’s Digital Counsel team, Roxanne works with a multi-disciplinary team of lawyers representing companies whose business models place them at the intersection of technology, fashion, outdoor performance, luxury goods, consumer electronics, beauty, and entertainment media.
When advising companies on brand management and enforcement issues, Roxanne takes a worldwide, strategic, and results-oriented approach, which often means thinking outside the box. As a result of this approach, Roxanne is repeatedly at the forefront of creating new legal precedent to more effectively meet the challenges facing brand owners who face counterfeiting and other enforcement issues. For example, working with a team:
- She was the first to obtain orders that addressed the challenges resulting from online IP theft: The North Face Apparel Corp. and PRL USA, Inc. vs. Fujian Trading; Advanced Access Content System Licensing Administrator v. Feng Tao; and Twentieth Century Fox v. Wang Wei d/b/a DVDSea.com.
- She was the first to obtain an ex parte asset restraint order in a counterfeiting action. Reebok vs. Marnatech.
- She was the first to obtain an order applying the concept of extra-territorial jurisdiction in cases arising under the Lanham Act. Reebok vs. Marnatech.
- She was the first, working with the NYC mayor’s office, to invoke a NYC statute not previously used for counterfeiting to put an end to the then-notorious 1165 Broadway’s role as the epicenter for counterfeit wholesalers. 1165 Broadway v. NY Sportswearbrought by the mayor’s office and Fila USA Inc, Fila Sport SpA and Guess Inc v. Mira Sportswear brought by Roxanne.
Professional & Community Activities:
- Board of Directors, New York City Bar Fund
- International Anti-Counterfeiting Coalition
- North American Anti-Counterfeiting Committee, International Trademark Association
- Co-Chair, U.S. Federal and State Legislation Task Force
- Brand Enforcement Task Force, Outdoor Industry Association
- Brand Protection Committee, American Apparel and Footwear Association
- New York State Women’s Bar Association
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- J.D., Pace University, 1986
- B.F.A., Drake University, 1981
Rate : $$$$