Gabriel J. Mesa is a partner in the firm’s New York office and a member of the Corporate Practice Group. He advises companies on corporate transactions, including joint ventures, private mergers and acquisitions, financings and restructurings in Latin America and other emerging markets as well as in the United States. His work spans venture capital and private equity investments, strategic acquisitions, privatizations and oil and gas ventures.
- Columbia Law School, J.D., 1993
- Yale University, B.A., 1989
Judicial Clerkship : Hon. Charles P. Sifton, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York, 1993 – 1994
Bar Admissions : New York
Representative Matters :
- Counsel to Linzor Capital Partners, the Latin American private equity fund, and its affiliates in the 2018 acquisition of a controlling interest in SCALA Latin America, a provider of online higher education services in Latin America under the name ‘UTEL’, from affiliates of Pearson Education, the UK education company, and GEG Controladora, a family-owned Mexican company.
- Counsel to One Equity Partners in connection with the acquisition of a minority interest in Grupo Phoenix, a consumer goods packaging company with operations in Colombia, Venezuela, Mexico and the United States.
- Advised Grupo P.I. Mabe, the leading producer of hygienic products in Mexico, on its sale to Ontex Group NV, a publicly listed company based in Belgium.
- Counsel to Linzor Capital Partners, the Latin American private equity fund, in the merger of the retail operations of its portfolio company Moda en Distribución, S.A.P.I. de C.V., into Devlyn Holdings, S. de R.L. de C.V., to create Mexico’s largest eyewear retailer.
- Counsel to Grupo Financiero Banorte, the Mexican financial group, and its affiliate Afore XXI Banorte in the $1.6 billion acquisition of Afore Bancomer from Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria (BBVA), the Spanish bank, to create Mexico’s largest pension fund. This matter was awardedLatinFinance’s 2013 “Domestic M&A Deal of the Year.”
- Counsel to a major European commercial bank in connection with a series of multi-billion dollar acquisitions and divestitures of financial services companies in Latin America over a five year period, including transactions in Mexico, Colombia, Chile, Uruguay and Argentina.
- Counsel to a Colombian pipeline company and its parent in connection with a significant minority investment by a U.S. private equity firm.
- Counsel to a US private equity firm in connection with the restructuring of its 50/50 joint venture with a strategic partner in a Texas utility and the acquisition of a 100% interest in the utility.
Rate : $$$