Gary M. Elden litigates complex business cases. He has tried more than 50 cases, arbitrated more than 20, and handled (usually arguing) more than 70 appeals. He has tried jury cases in more than a dozen jurisdictions from Washington, D.C. and New York to San Francisco, including trials in Fayetteville, Ft. Smith, and Helena, Arkansas; Hartford, Connecticut; and Detroit and Bay City, Michigan.
His appeals have been mostly in Illinois state courts and the Seventh Circuit, but also in the Fourth, Sixth, Eighth, Ninth, and Tenth federal circuits, the U.S. Supreme Court, and Michigan, New York, and California state appellate courts.
Most of his cases have alleged breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, and fraud. As to each of the following, he has handled more than 50 cases: injunctions; class actions or derivative suits; insurance coverage; punitive damages; corporation law (primarily Delaware and Illinois); franchising; and securities.
As to these, at least a dozen: trade secrets, consumer protection, consumer credit, ERISA, privacy, and RICO.
Although most of his work has been for defendants, nine times his clients have received huge checks—three for nine-digit amounts, six for eight-digit amounts—three times after verdicts, twice after a month of trial but before verdict, and four times before trial.
- J.D., magna cum laude, Harvard Law School, 1969
- A.B., summa cum laude, University of Illinois, 1966
- Phi Beta Kappa scholarship for outstanding liberal arts graduate
- Merriam scholarships for outstanding political science sophomore, junior and senior
- Phi Kappa Phi, Bronze Tablet, James Scholar, Illinois State Scholar
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, Trial Bar
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Advisory Board, Center on Wrongful Convictions, Northwestern University School of Law
- Advisory Board, Illinois Leading Lawyers, Chicago Law Bulletin
- Providence-St. Mel School, Board of Trustees
Rate : $$$$