J. Gary Gwilliam is considered one of the best consumer trial attorneys in the state. His reputation and skill in representing seriously injured plaintiffs is well known. He has tried over 180 jury cases, of which almost 150 were plaintiff civil personal injury cases.
He has handled major cases in every area of consumer law, including serious automobile and construction accidents, products liability, medical malpractice, bad faith insurance, civil rights, wrongful termination and employment discrimination and harassment, and has recently concentrated more in employment law.
A noted lecturer and motivational speaker, he has conducted seminars and workshops around California and the United States for many years. He is the author of numerous articles on California consumer law and is frequently called upon to serve as an expert witness on the standard of care for lawyers’ conduct. He frequently lectures on the topics of substance abuse, stress reduction, improving the quality of life as well as topics related to his practice.
A $6.1 million jury verdict for a 29-year-old man who suffered quadriplegic injuries when the roof of his Corvette was crushed in a roll-over accident. This was the largest single injury verdict in Contra Costa County history.
A multi-million dollar settlement for 80 plaintiffs in their insurance bad faith suit against their automobile insurance company for failure to pay medical benefits covered by the plaintiffs’ policies.
A $5.5 million jury verdict for a 19-year-old man who suffered severe hand injuries caused by a press machine at his place of work. This was the largest hand injury verdict in the United States and the largest single injury verdict in Alameda County history.
A $5 million jury verdict for the family of a man who was killed by police officers when he was threatening suicide. This was the largest police shooting misconduct verdict in Northern California history.
- University of California at Berkeley, Boalt Hall School of Law, Berkeley, California, LL.B. – 1962
- Pomona College, Pomona, California, USA, B.A. – 1959
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Alameda-Contra Costa County Trial Lawyers Association, Member, Board of Governors, 1970 – Present
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- American Bar Association, Member
- American Association for Justice
- Consumer Attorneys of California, Member, Board of Governors, 1983 – Present
- National Board of Trial Advocacy
- National Employment Lawyers Association
- Trial Lawyers for Public Justice Board, Member, Board of Directors, 1996 – Present
Rate : $$$