Gary L. Halling was the Practice Group Leader of Sheppard Mullin’s Antitrust and Competition Group from 2001-2016. Mr. Halling was with the U.S. Department of Justice, Antitrust Division, where he was a trial attorney in the General Litigation Section from 1976-1981.
Mr. Halling specializes in complex business litigation with emphasis on antitrust and unfair competition matters. He has extensive experience in civil and criminal antitrust matters involving both federal and state enforcement agencies. Chambers USA noted that he is held in high regard for his “amazing” antitrust litigation practice and “instant credibility into the courtroom” and is a “straightforward, no-nonsense, upstanding lawyer.”
- 1975-1976 Law Clerk to United States District Judge William B. Enright (S.D. Cal.).
- 1976-1981 Trial Attorney, Antitrust Division, U.S. Department of Justice, Washington, D.C.
- 1981-1993 Partner, Broad, Shulz, Larson & Wineberg, San Francisco.
- 1993 Partner, Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton, LLP, San Francisco.
Litigation Experience Examples:
- Defend various DOJ antitrust international cartel price fixing cases, including coordinating defense of international enforcement investigations in the EC, Japan, Korea, Canada, Brazil, etc., and defending related U.S. nationwide direct and indirect civil class actions (2002-2014).
- Antitrust counsel for Samsung Electronics defending IP-related antitrust claims in multi-billion dollar litigation with Rambus, coordinating with patent counsel in worldwide related proceedings (2004-2010).
- Represent Samsung Electronics in global patent and standards related antitrust governmental proceedings, and private antitrust actions involving major technology companies including Apple, Qualcomm, and Ericsson (2011-present).
- Defend SDI America and Samsung SDI entities in DOJ Antitrust Division grand jury criminal price fixing and foreign enforcement investigations involving lithion-ion batteries (Batteries), and related civil direct and indirect antitrust class actions (2011-present).
- Defend and resolve DOJ antitrust criminal price fixing action on behalf of Samsung Electronics involving DRAM memory chips, and related national MDL direct and indirect civil class actions and suits by over 40 state attorneys general, and coordinate worldwide defense. In Re DRAM Antitrust Litigation (MDL) (N.D. Cal. 2002-present).
- Defend senior foreign and domestic executives in DOJ antitrust grand jury investigations, Auto Parts and Real Estate Foreclosure cases (2011-present).
- Member, Antitrust Law Section, American Bar Association
- Member, Antitrust Section, State Bar Association of California
- J.D., University of San Francisco, 1975, Articles Editor, Law Review
- B.A., University of California, Los Angeles, 1972, cum laude
- Externship: Law Clerk, Justice Louis H. Burke, California Supreme Court, 1974
- California (1975)
- District of Columbia (1977)
Rate : $$$$