Gary A. Hecht has extensive experience in all fields of intellectual property law and in litigation involving intellectual property issues, including matters related to : trademarks, copyrights, unfair competition.
Gary prepares and prosecutes mechanical, electrical and computer-related patent applications, as well as counsels clients on intellectual property issues and is well-versed in licensing, infringement, validity and due diligence studies.
He also manages international trademark portfolios for U.S. and foreign companies, including those in the fields of chemicals manufacturing, fashion and clothing, medical devices and automotive products.
Representative Matters :
- Successfully defended a State college in a trademark action filed by another public college with a similar name which resulted in the other college changing its name.
- Successfully asserted trademark rights in opposition proceedings before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office for private and public organizations including fortune 100 companies, public and private universities and colleges, federally chartered corporations and governmental authorities.
- Prepared and filed U.S. and international patent applications for a major international pharmaceutical company on a device in making flu vaccines, which has been featured in the national news for producing the H1N1 vaccine.
- Successfully obtained a U.S. trademark registration for a top investment firm’s house service mark after another law firm advised that overcoming the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office’s rejection would be impossible.
- Represented a defendant in the high-profile case, Chiuminata Concrete Concepts, Inc. v. Cardinal Industries, Inc., before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and obtained a reversal of a lower court ruling on the issue of interpreting “means plus function” language in a patent.
Prior to joining the firm, Gary was chair of the Trademark Practice at a prominent boutique intellectual property firm. Gary is a former board member for the Pennsylvania Intellectual Property Law Association.
He has been an invited speaker at continuing legal education and professional association meetings, including the meeting of the combined Connecticut, New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania Intellectual Property Law Associations. Gary serves on the Advisory Council for the Mechanical Engineering Department of the University of Delaware.
- Temple University School of Law(J.D., 1991)
- University of Delaware (B.M.E., 1980)
- American Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Pennsylvania Intellectual Property Law Association (Former Board Member)
- International Trademark Association (Enforcement Committee)
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
BAR ADMISSIONS : Pennsylvania, New Jersey, U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
Rate : $$$