Gary R. Schall helps entrepreneurs and emerging companies navigate the many legal issues they face, from formation to equity and note financings through exit events. He also represents venture capital funds in their investments in startups and high-growth companies.
His clients are technology-based and span a broad range of industries, including e-commerce, mobile technologies, hardware, software, telecommunications and life sciences.
For more than 15 years, Mr. Schall has represented both venture capital firms and emerging companies advising on a variety of corporate matters, including formation and corporate governance, contract negotiations, employment and equity compensation matters, securities laws compliance and protection of intellectual property.
He also counsels his clients through complex transactions, such as convertible debt and preferred stock financings, joint ventures and buy- and sell-side mergers and acquisitions. Prior to joining WilmerHale, Mr. Schall was an of counsel for seven years at a law firm in Boston, Massachusetts. He also held associate positions while at other law firms in Boston and Princeton, New Jersey.
With a background in accounting, Mr. Schall relied on his knowledge of financial modeling to develop business solutions for his clients. He also drew from his background and experiences in order to advise a number of venture capital firms and emerging companies on an array of corporate transactions.
Additionally, Mr. Schall writes on topics related to entrepreneurship and has been featured on The Accelerators blog by The Wall Street Journal, Xconomy and TechCrunch. He is a frequent guest lecturer for various entrepreneurship organizations including the MIT Enterprise Forum of Cambridge, Swedish-American Chamber of Commerce New England and the Harvard i-lab.
- the Series Seed Preferred Stock financing of Cloze, Inc. by a venture capital firm;
- the Series Seed Preferred Stock financing of a private smart video camera company by a venture capital firm and angel investors;
- the Series Seed Preferred Stock financing of a private data management solutions company by a venture capital firm and angel investors;
- the Series A Preferred Stock financing of Vtesse, Inc. by several strategic investors and venture capital firms;
- the Series B and Series B Extension Preferred Stock financing of MineralTree, Inc. by a strategic investor and several venture capital funds;
- the acquisition of an angel-backed patient reported outcomes solutions provider by a private equity-backed patient experience solutions provider;
- the acquisition of a venture-backed medical device company by a public medical device company;
- JD, Vanderbilt University Law School, 2000
- MBA, St. John’s University, 1991
- BS, Finance, Lehigh University, 1987
ADMISSIONS : Massachusetts
Rate : $$$