Gavin S. Appleby advises and represents employers in a broad range of employment law matters, from defending single-plaintiff and class action employment cases to offering advice on difficult employment issues and labor relations matters. He also has significant experience with:
- Union avoidance
- Conducting pay equity analyses
- Labor negotiations
- Equal employment opportunity laws
- Affirmative action and diversity
- The National Labor Relations Board
- The Family and Medical Leave Act
Gavin has significant knowledge of drug testing and sports anti-doping matters. He has tried cases in 20 different states and regularly appears before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the National Labor Relations Board, and the Department of Labor as well as many state agencies.
A member of the professional tennis Anti-Doping Review Board and the Anti-Doping Review Board for international cricket, Gavin co-authored professional tennis’ anti-doping rules and successfully defended sports federations in international drug hearings.
He has also published numerous articles on employment and labor law issues, ranging from union avoidance to dealing with problem employees.Renowned as an exemplary employment law and diversity trainer, Gavin is a featured training expert in employment law at the Institute for Applied Management and Law.
He has developed legally-defensible diversity programs, created numerous interactive training programs and trained thousands of human resources professionals and operations managers across the country. The chair of Corporate Audit Services, Gavin also serves as the chair of Littler Mendelson’s diversity practices.
Previously, he worked for other law firms and as Chief Employment and Litigation Counsel at a consumer paper products company. He served as an adjunct professor of labor law at Georgia State University School of Law.
- J.D., University of Virginia School of Law, 1979
- B.A., West Virginia Wesleyan College, 1976
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
Professional & Community Affiliations :
- State Bar of Georgia
- Anti-Doping Review Board, International Tennis Federation
- Anti-Doping Review Board
- Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) Tour
Rate : $$$