Gay Tedder is an experienced trial attorney who has served as national trial and litigation counsel for Fortune 500 companies in complex product liability litigation in both state and federal court throughout the United States, including in New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut and Florida.
She has served as first- or second-chair trial counsel in more than 15 cases and has been involved in taking or defending more than 150 depositions, both expert and fact.
Gay has experience in all aspects of pre-trial and trial work, including discovery, motion practice and formulating and executing litigation strategy.
She has handled jurisdictional dockets involving hundreds of complex, multi-party actions and has managed large case teams of attorneys, paralegals and analysts, both before and during trial, in addition to coordinating with co-defense counsel.
Gay has also served as litigation counsel in large, multi-defendant international litigation in which she developed and implemented a successful strategy to have a client parent company dismissed from the litigation.
She has served as lead counsel in multiple actions attempting to pierce the corporate veil and has successfully briefed and argued numerous motions to dismiss on this issue in multiple courts in the United States. Gay has also argued numerous appeals before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit.
Before initially joining Shook, Gay served as an assistant U.S. attorney in the Western District of Missouri, where she handled hundreds of matters in federal court, including personal injury, employment, medical malpractice, administrative and commercial litigation cases.
She tried cases and argued numerous motions, including complex summary judgment motions. Since rejoining the firm, Gay’s practice has focused on product liability litigation in the pharmaceutical and medical device context.
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- J.D., University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law, 1987
- B.A., Kansas State University, 1979 (English)
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
- American Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Women in Courtroom Committee (Former Vice-Chair – 2008-2009)
- Whitepaper: Women In the Courtroom: Best Practices Guide
- Whitepaper: A Different Model for the Success of Women Who Try Cases
- Trial Tactics Committee, Member
- Trial Tactics Steering Committee (Former – 2005)
- Trial Tactics Publications/Newsletter (Former Chair)
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers, Board of Directors (2006-2012)
- Business Council Steering Committee, Nelson Atkins Museum of Art
- Royce Homeowners Association, Board Member (Former)
- Gifted Hands (teen domestic violence prevention), Board Member (Former)
Rate : $$$