Gearold L. Knowles concentrates his practice in renewable energy (wind power), electric power, natural gas, and related energy matters. He has represented numerous clients in these industries in matters before federal and state regulatory agencies and in connection with transactions and contracts.
Gearold also focuses his practice on advising clients in East Asia, particularly the People’s Republic of China, regarding business activities, transactions, and litigation in the United States.
Some highlights of his experience in the energy industry include:
- Advising clients in connection with wind power projects and applicable regulations and regulatory policies;
- Representing for more than 25 years a group of natural gas distribution companies in the full range of matters before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) involving two major interstate natural gas pipelines;
- Advising clients in connection with liquefied natural gas (LNG) projects;
- Representing clients in connection with the importation and exportation of natural gas;
- Advising clients regarding electric transmission interconnection agreements;
- Representing clients in transmission tariff matters and disputes relating to transmission services;
- Representing clients in evaluating power supply options and in negotiating and drafting long-term power supply contracts;
- Representing electric utilities in a wide range of proceedings before the FERC, including rate increases, long-term purchase and sale contracts, transmission service and rate matters, acquisitions and rulemaking proceedings; and
- Representing clients before state regulatory commissions on matters relating to mergers, electric competition, and natural gas service and rates.
Prior to joining Schiff Hardin, Gearold served as a trial attorney in the Division of Corporate Regulation, U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Indiana University Maurer School of Law, J.D., 1973
- Indiana University, B.S., Finance, 1968
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- American Bar Association, Public Utility Law Section, International Law and Practice Section, International Energy Subcommittee, Past Chair
- American Bar Association, Administrative Law and Regulatory Practice Section
- American Bar Association, Corporate, Banking, and Business Law Section
- American Bar Association, Environment, Energy, and Natural Resources Section, Renewable Energy Resources Committee
- Energy Bar Association, International Energy Law and Transactions Committee, Past Chair
- Energy Bar Association, Renewable Energy Committee, Past Chair and Past Vice-Chair
- Energy Bar Association, Natural Gas Regulation and Compliance Committee
- Federal Bar Association, Energy Section, Past Chair
CIVIC AND CHARITABLE MEMBERSHIPS:
- The Carter Center, Ambassadors Circle
Rate : $$$$