Gemma L. Descoteaux is a partner in the Corporate Practice group in the firm’s Dallas office. She is Chair of lateral partner recruiting for the Dallas office. Gemma is a seasoned and practical business partner to clients as they strategically merge, acquire, divest, collaborate and align within the marketplace.
She combines her 12 year business background in advanced technology with 20 years of legal experience to work with her clients as they strive to achieve their business, strategic and financial objectives.
She represents buyers and sellers in mergers, acquisitions and divestitures; participants in complex domestic, international and cross-border joint ventures and partnerships; providers and customers of outsourcing services; and companies who are in need of sound corporate commercial counsel in a wide range of industries, including technology, real estate, entertainment/news media, manufacturing, business process outsourcing, and healthcare.
Gemma has a unique and practical perspective on legal matters as a result of her work on a seconded basis at Olin Corporation, her work as a contract negotiator on the business side at Texas Instruments, her work in house at EXE Technologies (providing commercial counsel and IPO counsel), her work on a seconded basis at Computer Sciences Corporation (managing M&A and negotiating strategic alliances), and at ACS (handling securities and board governance matters and negotiating M&A transactions).
- Counsel to Conduent, Inc. in the sale of its firehouse software business suite of emergency records management products to ESO Solutions, Inc.
- Counsel to Wrapports Holdings LLC in the sale of the Chicago Sun-Times and the Chicago Reader to an investor group including Edwin Eisendrath and the Chicago Federation of Labor.
- Counsel to an international company specializing in biopharmaceuticals in their acquisition of a world-class facility for the development and manufacture of life-saving biopharmaceuticals and biotechnology and vaccine capabilities.
- Counsel to a U.S. public provider of technology enabled business solutions and services, including cloud, cybersecurity, big data and mobility, in the divestiture of multiple business units exceeding $1 billion in the aggregate and the formation of strategic joint ventures.
- Counsel to multiple newspaper publishing, printing and distribution companies in the acquisition and divestiture of more than 100 suburban newspapers; the negotiation of long term print and distribution agreements.
- J.D., Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, 1998, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif; The Journal of Air Law & Commerce, Editor in Chief, 1997-1998; The Southern Methodist University Law Review Association, Staff Member, 1996-1997
- B.A., Grove City College, 1986
Admissions : Texas
Rate : $$$$