Geoffrey M. Coan has a national practice helping companies and insurers with the defense of complex product liability litigation. He focuses on the representation of medical device, pharmaceutical and healthcare companies, regularly serving as national and local counsel in individual cases, mass tort and multidistrict litigation and class action litigation.
Mr. Coan joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP as partner in May 2010. He began his legal career in 1992 in the United States Navy, Judge Advocate General’s Corp. He left active duty in 1999. He continues to serve in the Navy Reserves. Mr. Coan presently serves as the Litigation Attorney in the OJAG General Litigation Unit.
Representative Matters :
Products involved in litigation Mr. Coan has defended individually, in class actions, and as coordinating counsel include generic drugs, heparin, joint spacers, pain pumps, veterinary prescriptions, metoclopramide, and plastic baby bottles, among others. A selection of Mr. Coan’s representative cases includes:
- Serving as national counsel for a generic drug manufacturer in consolidated actions pending in multiple jurisdictions involving allegations that the drug metoclopramide caused various neuromuscular disorders, including tardive dyskinesia.
- Serving as national coordinating counsel for a medical device company in multidistrict litigation arising out of the use of a tubeless insulin pump for the delivery of subcutaneous drug therapy.
- Served as local counsel for NECC in the national meningitis litigation (MDL – U.S.D.C. Massachusetts).
- Served as national coordinating counsel for a pharmaceutical company in multidistrict litigation arising out of the use of contaminated heparin.
- Served as national counsel and providing risk management services for an orthopedic and spine medical device manufacturer in products liability actions involving various products.
- Served as national coordinating counsel for a medical device company in mass tort litigation arising out of the use of a pain pump to deliver medication to the shoulder following arthroscopic surgery.
- Served as national coordinating counsel for a leading pharmaceutical manufacturer in litigation arising out of a professionally labeled OTC product.
Professional Affiliations :
- Council on Litigation Management,
- Product Liability Committee, Member
- Product Liability Webinar Development Committee, Co-Chairman
- Defense Research Institute, Member
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- J.D., cum laude, Vermont Law School, 1991
- B.S.B.A., Insurance and Finance, University of Hartford, 1988
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
Rate : $$$