Geoffrey B. Fehling focuses on complex civil litigation matters, with an emphasis on insurance coverage litigation and counseling. Geoff represents corporate policyholders and other insureds in insurance coverage disputes involving directors’ and officers’ (D&O), errors and omission (E&O), and other professional liability claims, SEC investigations, breach of fiduciary duty claims, asbestos liabilities, environmental liabilities, consumer protection class actions, and property damage.
He has worked with clients to maximize insurance recoveries through policy reviews and audits, claims presentation and negotiation, litigation, and alternative dispute resolution. He has particular experience advising mutual funds, hedge funds, banks, and other policyholders in the financial services sector.
Geoff is a contributing author to the Hunton Insurance Recovery Blog.
In addition to his insurance coverage work, Geoff also has experience representing individuals and corporations in state and federal litigation, arbitration, and mediation in a variety of business disputes, including consumer financial services, theft of trade secrets, business torts, and claims under the False Claims Act and Fair Housing Act.
Geoff maintains an active pro bono practice and has assisted non-profits and other entities in resolving various insurance coverage and civil litigation claims. He has served on the Screening Committee of the Mid-Atlantic Innocence Project and volunteered in the DC Bar Advice & Referral Clinic.
During law school, he interned for the Honorable Emmet G. Sullivan of the US District Court for the District of Columbia and served as the Editor-in-Chief of the George Mason Law Review.
He is admitted to practice in DC, Pennsylvania, and Massachusetts, as well as before the US Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, the US District Court for the District of Columbia, and the US District Courts for the Eastern and Middle Districts of Pennsylvania.
- Represented telecommunications company with respect to various coverage claims arising from property damage claims, employment-related disputes, and merger-related litigation.
- Advised insurance broker and related professional services firm with respect to professional liability claims arising from procurement of employment benefits plan.
Represented bank with respect to D&O claims arising from securities class action, SEC investigation, and merger challenge lawsuit.
- Counseled hedge fund with respect to various claims arising from Madoff-related investments.
- Represented corporate policyholders in resolving asbestos claims submitted to major insolvent London Schemes.
- Counseled publicly-traded biopharmaceutical company with respect to D&O claims arising from various regulatory investigations.
- Represented hedge fund and fund adviser with respect to claims arising from SEC investigation.
- Advised hedge fund with respect to D&O/E&O and cost of corrections issues related to trading error.
- Counseled Fortune 500 retailer with respect to insurance coverage arising from alleged trademark infringement and related personal and advertising injury claims.
- Litigated mortgage lender’s claims in False Claims Act litigation challenging mortgage origination and government insurance claims practices.
- Represented mortgage servicing company to defend claims alleging violations of Fair Housing Act related to loan modifications and reasonable accommodation practices.
- JD, George Mason University Antonin Scalia Law School, Editor-in-Chief, George Mason Law Review, 2011
- BA, Davidson College, 2006
- District of Columbia
- Member, American Bar Association Section of Litigation, Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee
Rate : $$$