Geoffrey D. Ferrer serves as the office managing partner of the New York office and is vice chair of the firm’s Transportation & Trade Practice. He focuses on U.S. and non-U.S. flag shipping matters, and all aspects of asset-based lending, including ship and aircraft finance and equipment leasing.
He routinely advises vessel owners and operators, as well as financial institutions in connection with U.S., Marshall Island, Liberian and Vanuatu maritime and corporate laws. He also provides maritime advice in connection with shipping related mergers and acquisitions, as well as securities offerings.
In addition, he represents clients in maritime lien and mortgage enforcement actions, as well as in marine casualty and general commercial disputes. He has been recognized by Chambers and Partners USA in Nationwide Transportation: Shipping/Maritime Finance from 2014-2019 and Chambers Global in 2019.
In 1978, Geoffrey received his Bachelor of Arts from the University of Oklahoma. He earned his law degree in 1981 from Columbia University. He is the author of the “Judicial Sales and Priority of Liens – United States,” chapter in the Maritime Law Handbook, published by Wolters Kluwer in 1994 and updated in 2013 and 2017.
- Counsel to leading European financial institution, as agent and security trustee, in a $42 million New York law credit facility to finance a portion of the purchase price of two new build vessels by a NYSE member company that owns and operates a fleet of modern mid to large-size dry bulk carriers.
- Acted as special New York counsel to a leading European lender, as agent, arranger, security agent, account bank, and lender in connection with a syndicated $330 million term loan that is providing delivery and post-delivery financing for the acquisition of 21 bulk carriers.
- Acted as special counsel on Liberian and Marshall Islands law for one of the world’s leading owners and providers of containerships for charter in connection with the issuance of its 8.75% Series D Cumulative Redeemable Perpetual Preferred Shares in the public market.
- Acting as special counsel on matters of Marshall Islands and Liberian law in connection with possible initial public offerings of limited partnership units by a Marshall Islands limited partnership.
- Acted as special U.S. maritime counsel to a private equity firm in connection with its investment through an affiliate in one of the largest U.S.-based seafood harvesters and owner of U.S. flag fishing vessels.
- Columbia University School of Law, J.D., 1981
- University of Oklahoma, B.S., 1978
BAR ADMISSIONS :
- New Jersey
- New York
- Republic of the Marshall Islands
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court — Southern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court — Central District of California
- U.S. District Court — New Jersey
- U.S. District Court — Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court — Northern District of New York
- American Bar Association
- California Bar Association
- International Bar Association
- Maritime Law Association of the United States
Rate : $$$$