George Clarke is a partner in the Firm’s North America Tax Practice Group in Washington, DC and chair of the Firm’s North American Tax Dispute Resolution Group. His practice focuses on tax litigation and he is nationally-known for his work in civil and criminal tax matters.
George has authored several articles on tax law and is a contributor to the Forbes IRS Watch Blog as well as other blogs and publications. He is consistently recognized by Legal 500 as a leading adviser in tax controversy.
George also lends his talent to pro bono matters and has successfully represented non-enemy combatants unlawfully detained by the US in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba and is lead counsel in a case to force the President to retain materials under the Presidential Records Act. He is a certified public accountant (inactive). Before becoming a lawyer, he served in the US Marine Corps.
George routinely advises and represents multinational corporations, financial institutions, and high-net-worth individuals on complex international and federal tax matters. His practice covers all facets of the tax dispute resolution process, including litigation of civil and criminal tax matters and governmental investigations.
He also defends clients in non-tax federal criminal procedures, including allegations of misconduct under the Foreign Corrupt Practice Act (FCPA) and other criminal laws of the US. George has substantial experience advising clients on the defense of foreign tax and non-tax criminal investigations and the effect those investigations have in the US.
- Georgetown University Law Center (J.D. magna cum laude) (2003)
- Edgewood College (B.S. Accounting magna cum laude) (1998)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas~United States (2017)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit~United States (2017)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit~United States (2016)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia~United States (2008)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces~United States (2006)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit~United States (2006)
Representative Legal Matters:
- Defended Shell Oil Company in a period of limitations case in the Federal Circuit.
- Represented a key witness in a major tax evasion investigation by DOJ.
- Represented Guardian Industries Corporation in a successful motion for summary judgment, affirmed on appeal, regarding foreign tax credit and technical taxpaper issues.
- Obtained a complete victory for America Online, Inc., in its suit for a refund of federal excise tax.
- Tried and argued war on terror and military law issues for a prisoner held in Guantanamo.
- Negotiated a non-prosecution agreement for a foreign banker in a major criminal tax prosecution.
Rate : $$$$