George W. Powell serves as managing partner of Akerman’s Naples office. George protects real property rights and focuses his practice on real property taxation, eminent domain / property condemnation, land use and entitlements, and real estate transactions. His clients include financial institutions, developers, and other private property owners.
He also counsels the outdoor advertising industry in condemnation, amortization, property tax, and permitting matters nationwide. Leveraging the firm’s presence in key markets throughout the United States, he has one of the few national practices in this sector.
George holds the CRE and MAI professional designations from The Counselors of Real Estate and the Appraisal Institute, respectively. Prior to his law career, he led a regional real estate valuation firm that provided litigation support in complex eminent domain and real property tax matters and consulted on real property loan workouts and repositioning for failed development projects.
A former U.S. Army counterintelligence officer, George devotes his pro bono practice to representing veterans before the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans’ Claims to secure denied service-related benefits.
- J.D., Rutgers University School of Law, 2002, with honors
- B.A., Bucknell University, 1969
Bar Admissions : Florida; New Jersey
- Appraisal Institute, National Client Advisory Board, Member
- The Counselors of Real Estate (CRE), Board of Directors, Member; International Committee, Member; Alternate Dispute Resolution Committee, Member; 2012 National Convention Chair
- National Association of Realtors (NAR), Commercial Legislation and Regulatory Advisory Board, Member
- Florida Outdoor Advertising Association, Member
- Outdoor Advertising Association of America, Member
- International Council of Shopping Centers, Member
- The Florida Bar, Eminent Domain Committee, Member
- United States Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims Bar Association
- International Association of Assessing Officials – Florida Chapter, Member
- Florida Sport Shooting Association, Director and Treasurer
- Serafina at Tiburon Homeowners Association, Director and President
- Continental Bank of New Jersey, Past Director
- The American Red Cross, Florida’s Southern Gulf Region, Former Director
Rate : $$$$